Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can't find the person crying for help  (Read 399 times)

Grahar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Can't find the person crying for help
« on: July 29, 2014, 11:38:14 am »

My adventurer recently entered a deserted town to find a vampire that supposedly lives there. According to the Legends, he is the only inhabitant of this town and used to be the leader of a bandit gang located in the catacombs of this town.
The town was destroyed long ago, only the keep and a few abandoned shops and a warehouse are left. Nothing is left of the temple, which was profaned by said vampire long before the town fell, but with the temple, the entrance to the catacombs is lost, too. The temple is shown on the fast-travel map, but as I said, no buildings are left.
While wandering around to find the entrance to the catacombs, I suddenly heart cries for help: "Help! Save Me!" and "I must withdraw!"
I have no idea where this voice comes from, but apparently, a captain spoke this words. I guess the captain is the leader of the bandit gang and thus the goblin vampire I am looking for but... I can't find him. I can hear his voice, but I have no idea from which direction it comes. Maybe even from underground.
How can I find him? Is it possible that the catacombs still exist, even if there is no entrance anymore? Or is the entrance just well hidden?
Oh, and he's not on the trees either.
I am an or-di-na-ry dwarf
burning down the !!fort!!

Uristides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Can't find the person crying for help
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2014, 01:48:03 pm »

I have the same problem on one of my worlds. Already scouted the town with some half a dozen different characters, searched high and low but nothing of the enigmatic captain or the entrance to the underground.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2014, 04:44:12 pm »

Could it be that said vampire has a legendary ambusher skill and for some reason does not feel like attacking you (because it's fleeing) ?
Check legends, to see if this vampire made a lot of wildlife kills in it's pre-vampire life, indicating hunting job.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 04:46:46 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Grahar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2014, 05:05:56 pm »

Actually, this vampire has no kills at all (Oh, apparently I was mistaken, the town was destroyed before he was cursed). My Adventurer, however, has a legendary observer skill. She should have seen someone sneaking around.
Oh, and I haven't thought about the tracking skill yet. It will be the first time I will actually use it (it has gone legendary without ever using it actively)

Grahar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2014, 05:31:04 pm »

There are no tracks besides my own ones.
I left the deserted town to chase another vampire (I found a vampire serpent man, but the blood did not turn me into a vampire). When I got back, the phantom captain was still around. I was only away for a few days, but now there are trenches everywhere. I fought off some goblin patrols the first time I visited, and another two this time, but the town does not belong to them. The only official inhabitant is the phantom captain vampire goblin.