Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Issue: Can't play Dwarf Fortress on Fedora 20 [Not a game bug, help me run it]  (Read 2606 times)

Zorgatone

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

Hello,
I've posted in general discussion because I don't know where else to put this (I won't use the bug tracker because this is not a game but, but an error on my system).
I'm trying to run Dwarf Fortress 0.34.11 on Fedora 20 (Gnome 3, x86_64 distro), but I'm getting some errors related to the libraries on my computer.

I'm posting here a link to the pastebin log, would you help me try to fix it please?

http://pastebin.com/EeYVDK3H

Thanks guys,
Zorgatone, the Pale Miner.

Xazo-Tak

• Bay Watcher
  • *Camping forever*
    • View Profile

Maybe Wine would help, I'd imagine it could introduce a number of relevant files.
How to have recursive Fun:
Have Fun
Reclaim fort
Destroy your main graveyard with a cave-in

Zorgatone

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

No.. I'm running the linux SDL version, no Wine is required. I just need to install and configue the correct libraries (32bit) and that's causing conflicts on my 64bit system, I suppose.

Zorgatone

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

Maybe Wine would help, I'd imagine it could introduce a number of relevant files.

However, just to try.. I installed wine to see if any libraries are installed alongside wine that could help running my linux version of dwarf fortress but as I expected it was useless.
I don't want to run the game through wine emulation, I'd like to setup my system to run the linux binary version of the game.. Isn't there somewhere a link to download the 64bit version maybe?

Xazo-Tak

• Bay Watcher
  • *Camping forever*
    • View Profile

No.. I'm running the linux SDL version, no Wine is required. I just need to install and configue the correct libraries (32bit) and that's causing conflicts on my 64bit system, I suppose.
By "no Wine is required", do you mean that SDL version serves the purpose of Wine, or that it serves the purpose of Wine in just this scenario?
How to have recursive Fun:
Have Fun
Reclaim fort
Destroy your main graveyard with a cave-in

Miuramir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm trying to run Dwarf Fortress 0.34.11 on Fedora 20 (Gnome 3, x86_64 distro), but I'm getting some errors related to the libraries on my computer.

Not an expert on Fedora 20 per se, but looking at your error logs and pasting them into Google Translate, it appears that your fundamental problem is with handling PNG images, possibly via GTK. 

It appears that this post and this other post may have enough info to get you going.  Other posts I found seem to indicate that DF expects libpng15 and most modern systems use a newer version with different behavior. 

I'd start by trying to install libpng15 from your usual package manager; if that does it, great!  If not, look into whether there's a compatibility package available from someplace.  Failing that, try the BMP hack from the posts & notes linked above. 

Please let everyone know how this works out; especially with a new version of DF pending "soon", collectively working an updated Linux install FAQ would be a good idea. 

thatnewguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

>Fedora

hueeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
f5

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile

If the PNGs are causing problems, you could try running the game in console mode. Open up ./data/init/init.txt and change [PRINT_MODE:2D] to [PRINT_MODE:TEXT].

Isn't there somewhere a link to download the 64bit version maybe?
There is no 64bit version, unfortunately.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions

You're probably running into this problem. Try using LD_PRELOAD with libz.so.1 and see if it makes the problem go away.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Redzephyr01

• Bay Watcher
  • Ferrum Cor
    • View Profile

I thought this was going to be about someone trying to play Dwarf Fortress on an actual fedora. I'm so disappointed.

dfornika

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

I'm affected by the same issue.  I'm pretty sure this is the cause:

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=6409

Fedora 20 uses a newer libpng than DF expects.  I don't see any simple solution, though the people who package the NixOS DF package seem to have solved it by recompiling SDL_image with libpng12:

https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/issues/710