Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What's up with quarry bush farming?  (Read 1506 times)

Brent Not Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What's up with quarry bush farming?
« on: July 26, 2014, 07:55:16 am »

All right, I can't figure out what's going on, and my best guess is that quarry bush processing is bugged so that they don't produce rock nuts.

At any rate, I planted a bunch of these, harvested them, processed them, cooked the leaves into stuff... and there's no rock nuts left for a second round of planting.

If there's nothing I can do about it and rock nuts are just bugged in this version, is it even worth trying to deal with quarry bushes at all?

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
Re: What's up with quarry bush farming?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2014, 08:09:59 am »

This is a known bug, regrettably.

Hopefully Toady gets around to fixing this soon as well. Otherwise, the comments for that bug list a potential fix you can mod in yourself.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Brent Not Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2014, 08:23:01 am »

Well hey, that's a quick enough fix. Is that going to require a new worldgen to take effect?

Also, this is an entirely different issue related to seeds and farming, but I'm getting some strange cancellation errors really frequently. Like, a bunch of "Urist McPlanter cancels Plant Seeds: Needs Pig Tail Seeds."

I have about eight different dwarves giving me this error message, back to back. So naturally I check the stocks screen and look at my seeds, and I've got a bunch of unplanted ones, which should be ready to go. (Brown is unused in the stocks screen, teal is used-- for seeds, already planted--, right? I've got about 30 teal and 20 brown.)

I've had this happen a lot of times, for various different crops in this fort. Makes me wonder if there's some kind of bottleneck I can eliminate, or if my dwarves are just being idiots and all grabbing for the same single seed at the same time, so that all but the fastest one have to throw a fit.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2014, 08:29:08 am »

Well hey, that's a quick enough fix. Is that going to require a new worldgen to take effect?

Also, this is an entirely different issue related to seeds and farming, but I'm getting some strange cancellation errors really frequently. Like, a bunch of "Urist McPlanter cancels Plant Seeds: Needs Pig Tail Seeds."

I have about eight different dwarves giving me this error message, back to back. So naturally I check the stocks screen and look at my seeds, and I've got a bunch of unplanted ones, which should be ready to go. (Brown is unused in the stocks screen, teal is used-- for seeds, already planted--, right? I've got about 30 teal and 20 brown.)

I've had this happen a lot of times, for various different crops in this fort. Makes me wonder if there's some kind of bottleneck I can eliminate, or if my dwarves are just being idiots and all grabbing for the same single seed at the same time, so that all but the fastest one have to throw a fit.

I'm not sure if it requires a world gen. I guess try modding it in and seeing if it fixes the quarry bushes?

If you're storing your seeds in bins or bags, this bug could be causing the cancellation spam. You can check your farm plots to see if seeds are being planted at all, just being bottlenecked by all the seeds being in one bag that gets reserved for a single job at a time. However, as far as I can tell there isn't really a fix for this problem; just wait until you have so many seeds they take up multiple bags.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 08:31:46 am by darkflagrance »
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Brent Not Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2014, 08:46:48 am »

Yeah, upon examination, that is exactly what's happening with the seeds.  Thanks.