Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: question on military uniforms  (Read 2222 times)

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
question on military uniforms
« on: July 04, 2013, 11:26:00 pm »

When designing a uniform, do you need to specify boots twice to get the drunken buggers to wear two of them?  I'm noticing on my latest fortress that my ten militia members have one sock, one boot and one glove (if they have any), but not a pair of each as I would have expected.  This being Dwarf Fortress, I would not be surprised if I need to specify high boot twice to get them to wear one on each foot, but wanted to see what others have experienced before I made the change.

Oh, and when your hunter fails to return to the burrow due to alert, and you only notice because of the freshly fallen goblin corpse corpses and the giant coati being murdered, don't open the gates to let him in.  All this will do is let the melee dwarves training just inside the bridge out. ;(
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: question on military uniforms
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 11:36:56 pm »

When designing a uniform, do you need to specify boots twice to get the drunken buggers to wear two of them?  I'm noticing on my latest fortress that my ten militia members have one sock, one boot and one glove (if they have any), but not a pair of each as I would have expected.  This being Dwarf Fortress, I would not be surprised if I need to specify high boot twice to get them to wear one on each foot, but wanted to see what others have experienced before I made the change.

One boot entry usually works.  What you might be seeing is dwarf attempting to do something odd like put two boots on one foot and two socks on the other.  I usually set my uniforms as "replace clothing" rather than "over clothing" and specify one set of boots, and no socks in that regards simply to avoid layering issues there.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

Deepblade

• Bay Watcher
  • Tholtarmid
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2013, 11:49:09 pm »

It depends on if you're doing specific boots/gloves or saying wear generic gloves. If you're specifying a specific boot or glove to be worn you also have to specify its mate. Telling them to wear generic boot/gloves the other boot is thrown in there. It could also be a problem with them having a shoe on already.
Deepblade's Standardized Creature Parts, for when you're pissed about all the different types of animal products there are.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2013, 12:02:50 am »

Generic "boot", "sock" and "glove" entries are what I've used.  It is also replacing clothing, not going over it.  This is why they have socks, and no boots ... I haven't made boots yet.  I have noticed two, many three that have a pair of at least one of the three on, so I guess its just the issue with them not equipping things right away sometimes.

And I've just realized I forgot to make shields!  Well, at least my fledgling soldiers are holding their own against the zombies.

... so far.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2013, 02:42:39 am »

Yep, that's bug. In adventure mod you need to put things on in a specific order to put on both boots and both socks.
In fortress mode dwarves fail to follow that order.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2013, 05:53:59 pm »

I'm not too sure, but based on what happened in Moltenchannels with dwarves only wearing one boot and one sock and then picking up deadly forgotten beast syndromes, I wouldn't risk it. I had to manually alter the gear to get the dwarves to put socks and boots on both feet.

It would not have been so bad if they wore a sock on one foot and the boot on the other, but both went on the same foot so they got the syndrome.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2013, 07:15:56 pm »

Destroy all socks!

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2013, 08:19:35 pm »

Take the socks from out of the uniform and have them just wear high boots.

Alternatively, make shoes or socks [COVER] layer, and also gloves if you can't make mittens. Dwarves seem able to better mix cover layers with the other types.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Aisher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2014, 01:21:50 am »

Yep, that's bug.

that bug still exist in 40.xx

Torrenal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2014, 01:44:38 am »

Mystries explained...

Thus why military dwarves will risk entire invasions by their lonesome.  To get sock!  For such dwarves have been commanded to do without, and they cannot permit it any longer!
//Torrenal