Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Reduce populations  (Read 835 times)

Loam

• Bay Watcher
  • a Moal
    • View Profile
Reduce populations
« on: July 20, 2014, 09:05:23 pm »

Since storming a dark fortress is no fun with all that lag, has anyone found a way (if there is one) to reduce the population at sites? Apparently MAX_SITE_POP_NUMBER doesn't matter for main sites (it's set to 120 by default); I tried lowering "Population cap after civ creation" in the Advanced World Generation from 15000 to 5000, but it was completely ignored.
Mind you: I don't mind having 10,000 goblins (or elves or dwarves or whatever) in a single civ, but I'd rather they be spread out more. As it is, goblin fortresses can have upwards of 5000 creatures, but dark pits will rarely get above 50-60. Similar with elven retreats, it seems.
Thob Goes to the Surface (Adventure Mode story, in progress)

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
Re: Reduce populations
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 01:34:33 am »

I think pets aren't counted as population as far as the tags go (and people find hundreds of huddled trolls but where are gobbos?), because then you'd have locations owned by civs with only animals that all claim the site. With all the strays you'd find in one town would be enough to cap it, regular people would leave or stop having kids because the caps reached until there are only animals, which is when it will (1) become a ruin or (2) just exist as that one city the animals took over. And since Civ population determines size (I.E. hamlets vs towns) you have sites that are towns purely from animals with less than a hamlet's worth of people.

Honestly I think we should limit 1 pet for every citizen with a hard minimum defined in the entity. This would save on seemingly endless hordes and still allow certain civs to stock war animals competitively. Some people might think that ridiculous (farmer's usually own many) and I agree realistically but not from a game play standpoint.
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
Re: Reduce populations
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 02:29:08 pm »

I think  [MAX_SITE_POP_NUMBER:120]  is actually the number of entities on a single site, the wiki mention "Generic site types will not hold any more than this number of entities", not the number of individuals on a single site (and it's probably it considering i have regularly noticed goblin site with more than 4000 goblins ... on a pocket world)

In the RAW you have  [MAX_POP_NUMBER:10000]  , meaning that 1 entity of the defined civ can be up to 10.000 individuals.
[MAX_STARTING_CIV_NUMBER:100] means that a civilization can have at max 100 entities and from the wiki the total number of a race is MAX_POP_NUMBER x MAX_STARTING_CIV_NUMBER , and with those default, we're talking about a potential of 1.000.000 of individuals !
Enough to cripple any computer if an adventurer move close to there.

But fortunately those numbers are reworked by the worldgen entry [TOTAL_CIV_POPULATION:15000] that for every world type has its default value to 15.000 individuals

Now this go along the
[SITE_CAP:...] (different value for different world size) that control the max amount of sites
[TOTAL_CIV_NUMBER:...]  (different value for different world size) that control the max amount of civilization (not entities)

So you need to tailor carefully the numbers to avoid insane amount of individuals in a site and crippling the adventure mode by lagging extremely when moving near those sites.

Especially on smaller world that will have fewer sites and will get have to get a very lot of individuals in them then, due to those worlds still have the max pop of 15000 from worldgen and the max 10000 pop/entities from the raw, with the default values, you can easily get unplayable areas around dark fortresses