Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: GAMEPLAY CHALLENGE: The Computer is Your Friend  (Read 431 times)

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't really have any answers for you.
    • View Profile
GAMEPLAY CHALLENGE: The Computer is Your Friend
« on: July 23, 2014, 12:16:04 pm »

Seeing as how making computers in DF is old hat now, how about making a computer that actually has some effect on your fort?

Here are some ideas for things you could try to set up systems to regulate and control automatically, with no dwarf intervention besides the construction:
  • Paths that open and close based on foot traffic through them, relieving congestion in high traffic areas while preserving pathfinding in low traffic ones.
  • Defenses that react automatically to invasions, closing gates, raising bridges, and arming traps.
  • Automatic (or at least semi-automatic) minecart transportation of resources to workshops, and workshops to stockpiles.

And no doubt you can come up with more. The goal is to create a Friend Computer that manages at least some aspects of your dwarves' lives. You might find it easier to make mechanical constructions rather than an actual computer to control it. The design of the systems is up to you.
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles