Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A request  (Read 1153 times)

fasquardon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A request
« on: July 17, 2014, 07:41:55 am »

One of the really nice things when I first started playing masterwork was how modular it was.  You could select the buildings, pets and game options of your Dwarfs.  Now, with the new races, none of them are modular like the Dwarfs are, nor are you able to, say play Dwarfs with the Orc raiding buildings or do other building or animal swaps (unless of course you go in and edit the raws).

Could I ask that more modularity be added as Masterwork is updated?  If someone explained to me how to parse the raws so that the launcher could switch bits on and off, I would be happy to work on the project myself as well.

fasquardon

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: A request
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2014, 01:20:29 pm »

I thought about this, but my line of thought went like this: People like the modularity in dwarf mode, because they are used to vanilla DF, and they dont like specific themes like muskets or magic added to them.

But with the new races, its all exclusive content, no one knows how Gnomes or Succubi or Orcs or Warlocks are played in vanilla, because they dont exist. Taking away single parts doesnt make them closer to an idea that the player is used to from playing vanilla df.

this is the first request I got about it. Its certainly easy to do, but would in the end add 6 new tabs to the GUI, one for each race.

Swapping buildings between races is not possible without heavy modding though, at least when they use special syndromes and scripts that are fitted to a specific race. The skeleton inscriptor would never work on other races, or the dwarven prison would transform an Orc you play into a "imprisoned dwarf". So thats not really an option.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

fasquardon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2014, 07:26:32 am »

Scripts, even now, only apply to a minority of buildings.

And I'm not sure you would get many people complaining if you removed all the modularity from the Dwarfs.  It seems to me that most of the Masterwork audiences likes more badass in more race packages.  For me though, the more you address the desires of this audience, the less Masterwork addresses what I'd like in the game.  I want less badass in my game.  And frankly it takes a while to edit out all the silly magical metals, the muskets, the robots and the magic out of the game for every version just so I can make an orc or kobold fortress that is, well, more challenging.  It is gets tiresome to repeat almost exactly the same process again every time a new version comes out.

If you don't want to make it, fair enough.  Can you please explain how to edit the GUI and raws to make things more modular?

fasquardon

fasquardon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2014, 10:36:39 pm »

Still hoping for an answer.  :)

fasquardon

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2014, 10:48:38 pm »

Still hoping for an answer.  :)

fasquardon

It's not a straightforward question to answer.  The general outline is:

(1) Figure out how to mod the changes you want

(2a) Write a script that automatically makes those changes but leaves behind markers so that you can do (2b)
(2b) Write a script that automatically undoes those changes but leaves behind markers so that you can do (2a)

(3) Implement a button in the GUI that runs your scripts

Meph or whoever can in principle probably teach you how to do step (3), but the core thing is steps (1) and (2) which are logic/coding puzzles that are basically up to you.

sjohne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2014, 06:40:16 am »

And I'm not sure you would get many people complaining if you removed all the modularity from the Dwarfs.

I think you are wrong there. I - for example - play without the guildhall because I dislike the factions. And especially with stuff like diseases, harder learning and so on... playing with these different options can make MDF way more fun. And frankly without the GUI I would have no idea how to change that stuff.

I would agree with Meph here... it's great to have all the modularity for dwarves but it's not really necessary for all races.

Cheers,
Stefan

Guthbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2014, 08:27:07 am »

The only thing that gets turned off when I play is the slag pit. I don't like hauling monstrous chunks of slag around.

Not every fort gets everything built. In fact, rarely do I have a fort that goes long enough to build all of the many dwarf buildings. Usually they've just got a few of the advanced things from the list. If there's something I'm not interested in I just don't build it.