Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [New at modding DF] Creature Materials and Tissues  (Read 1585 times)

Shudokai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[New at modding DF] Creature Materials and Tissues
« on: July 22, 2014, 12:19:03 pm »

Well, I just started editing some raw files, I looked up the wiki to find information to help me accomplish what I want to do but to no avail, the wiki is either to complicated for my mind to grasp or it just doesn't have the answers I need.

Anyways, I wanted to start a tiny mod, see if it works and add on to it, the (not unique) idea is to add creatures inspired by (not copied) Monster Hunter and use them to create Armor and Weaponry just like they do in Monster Hunter aswell.

I don't want to start a new public mod, I just want to try this stuff myself and if its enjoyable I will share it, but for now im stuck right at the beginning.

Now to the core issue:

I tried to change the Bone Tissue Material of a dog to iron and used it to craft a spear in adventure mode, then I used the crafted spear and a ready made iron spear to stab a human in copper armor to see if it penetrates or not, well .... the iron spear penetrated pretty well the (iron)bone one didnt do jack.

Now I would like to know if there is a way to check what material my spear is made of, it always says bone spear, because its made of dog bone but the dog bone is supposed to have the properties of iron.

And if that doesnt work, a short guide on how to change bone material in creature raws would be lovely.

Here is a raw snipped of what i tried (thats a lizard not a dog :P)
Code: [Select]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:SCALE_MATERIALS]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:SCALE_TISSUES]
[TISSUE:BONE]
[TISSUE_NAME:wyvernbone:wyvernbones] < Tried to give the tissue that name by adding that, no idea why i did that .... copiet it of the wiki
[TISSUE_MATERIAL:INORGANIC:STEEL] < Tried to change the material of TISSUE:BONE to steel here.
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:VERTEBRATE_TISSUE_LAYERS:SCALE:FAT:MUSCLE:BONE:CARTILAGE]

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
Re: [New at modding DF] Creature Materials and Tissues
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 12:48:39 pm »

if you really want to delve into what makes a better material you can do it as easy as:
[SELECT_MATERIAL:BONE]
add any changes that you see in material defintions, rename it if you want or change the SHEAR/FRACTURE yields to make it stronger.

so you could make your creature like every other, then at the end select the ones you want to be better "Fire resistant scales and bone, but the bone is sharper" etc etc. you won't have to customly define tissues unless you are making a completely new one like a metal layer that doesn't bleed or feel pain but scars (this is an instance where vanilla tissues won't fit)
[TISSUE:METAL]
[TISSUE_NAME:iron plate:iron plating]
[TISSUE_MATERIAL:INORGANIC:IRON]
[HEALING_RATE:500]
[SCARS] -- when heals will show scars
[TISSUE_SHAPE:LAYER]
---I'd leave STRUCTURAL out for personal pref because this is not the tissue that is the root "like bone" as the behavior of that tag determines if the part is rendered useless when "broken"

i'd then layer this over the parts I wish manually or make my own BDP to do it faster instead of all the [TISSUE_LAYER:BY_CATEGORY:UPPER_ARM:METAL] but for all the categories I'd have an entry for each one, which can bloat the creature file making it a bit harder to edit, unless you prefer that. BDPs are helpful if you need to use it many times (like more armored creatures, easier to copy and paste one line then 18 and changing them if it has more limbs or differently named limbs.)

Shudokai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [New at modding DF] Creature Materials and Tissues
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 12:58:43 pm »

Oh wow Hugo you helped me a lot there.

I guess I edited on the wrong end :D

If I do
[SELECT_MATERIAL:BONE]
and edit the properties of it that will be local to that creature only right?

So if i make the bone on CREATURE A as hard as steel it wont change the bones of every other creature i suppose? (Gah, wouldn't make much sense if it did but we are talking about DF xD anything is possible :D)

I guess I will try to create a creature from scratch and create a BDP for it to expand on that species.

I will leave this thread open if I stumble opun more issues.