Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bug freezes workers away from the work square  (Read 534 times)

Dorf and Dumb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Bug freezes workers away from the work square
« on: July 11, 2014, 05:25:33 pm »

I've seen one plant gatherer freeze forever because he wasn't adjacent to the plant he was picking, and one wall detailer freeze non-adjacent to the wall he was supposed to smooth.  Voiding the designation got them moving again.  I have a feeling this is related to the constant "teleportation" of items when deconstructing things (I was told that's an old bug but I never saw it in the old version and now it never doesn't happen).

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
Re: Bug freezes workers away from the work square
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2014, 05:59:08 pm »

I've seen one plant gatherer freeze forever because he wasn't adjacent to the plant he was picking, and one wall detailer freeze non-adjacent to the wall he was supposed to smooth.  Voiding the designation got them moving again.  I have a feeling this is related to the constant "teleportation" of items when deconstructing things (I was told that's an old bug but I never saw it in the old version and now it never doesn't happen).

Just saw it with a woodcutter, he was interrupted by horror and then went back to work three tiles away from the tree and stood there till I undesignated.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2014, 08:45:04 pm »

I have a feeling this is related to the constant "teleportation" of items when deconstructing things (I was told that's an old bug but I never saw it in the old version and now it never doesn't happen).

It was fixed by the community with a binary patch.  This patch was distributed with DFhack, which was included in the LNP, large mods, and so forth.  If you were using anything along those lines, you probably had the fix.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2014, 09:54:37 am »

in 40.01 I got this herbalist frozen in place trying to pick a shrub several tiles away... removing the designation and adding it again solves the issue...

Dorf and Dumb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 08:17:46 am »

I should add on 40.03 this was reproducible in one case - when trying to build up-down stairs on the floor above the ground floor in the compu-generated reclaim fort (after first building up-down stairs on that floor).  I suppose it's because there was no way to path to that floor and you couldn't reach it from below because a floor was in the way.  Haven't retested in 40.04 though.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 09:19:02 am »

I had a plant gatherer freeze like this last night, but I freed him by mining out the wall next to him... next option was going to be channelling under him and letting him drop to bring him to his senses (such as they are).  Didn't want to lose my only stonecrafter, or I would have just let him starve for being a dumbass.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2014, 10:43:01 am »

I've seen a moody dwarf claim a workshop from 10 tiles away. It's quite possible that this is related to the teleporting materials bug (dwarves performing the "pickup item" task when not adjacent to the item).

I had a plant gatherer freeze like this last night, but I freed him by mining out the wall next to him... next option was going to be channelling under him and letting him drop to bring him to his senses (such as they are).  Didn't want to lose my only stonecrafter, or I would have just let him starve for being a dumbass.

Such measures are unnecessary. Dwarves will (eventually) cancel almost any job to seek out food/drink/sleep ("seeking infant" being, at least previously, an exception).