Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Moods not resolving [0.40.03]  (Read 424 times)

Aloriel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Moods not resolving [0.40.03]
« on: July 20, 2014, 10:48:35 am »

Is anyone else having issues where you have all of the required components for a mood, but the dwarf simply doesn't go get them? I've had this twice now.

The first one required cloth thread, stone (blocks or raw), and gems (cut or uncut). Even though I'm not sure of the state of each of those items, I know I had all the parts regardless.

My new one requires rock blocks, cut gems, bars of metal, and cloth. I have all of these items as well. Heck, I just bought a giant shipment of cloth. I have 2 iron bars, tons of cut gems, and massive quantities of rock blocks.

Yet the dwarf doesn't acquire the items.

I am certain that there is not an issue with being able to get to the blocks, gems, metal, and cloth. I have built walls with the blocks. I have traded the gems. I am currently using the cloth in making clothes. The iron bars are sitting in my standard general storage area, which is the same place as almost all of the rest of that. And nothing is forbidden.

Any thoughts?

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: Moods not resolving [0.40.03]
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2014, 10:58:35 am »

1. Are you quadruple-sure he has a path?
2. Does he have metal, stone, gem, or cloth preferences?

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2014, 11:04:51 am »

Well, in the old version (34.11) I noticed some darves wouldn't retrieve goodies unless they had enough of an object around. Id sometimes have to slaughter multiple animals to get enough bones, for instance.

Another thing I hear is that in the new version they sometimes forget how to climb ramps and stairs.  I'd try troubleshooting.  MAybe forbidding a door along the path and waiting a few ticks before unforbidding, trying to reset the pathing?  Worst case seal the moody bugger away for death or dug a new path.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Aloriel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2014, 12:24:21 pm »

The only guess I have is that he wanted more than 2 bars of metal. It's too early for preferences to come into play. This is only year 3 and my 4th mood.

Plus, it's a moot point now. His mood broke him within a minute of loading the game.

I am tempted to stop playing this fort. We got attacked by a were-civet. Some 4-5 dwarves died including the original expedition leader. As such, I am in the midst of a tantrum spiral that seems endless. The fort isn't dying off, as most of the fort is fairly stable and I keep getting migrants. It's just an endless stream of tantrums also... After the 4-5 died from the attack, I have lost probably 20 dwarves due to injuries, unhappiness, and berserker rages. It's been almost 9 months since the attack, and the tantrums keep piling up...

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2014, 03:00:13 am »

For the record, a moody dwarf does not just require cloth, he requires a specific type of cloth. Wool cloth, plant-fiber cloth, and silken cloth all count as different items, and a dwarf who's decided that he needs one of them will not accept either of the other two. Make sure you've got a decent stockpile of all 3 kinds (or at least a binful of each type, which you keep forbidden or locked away, only allowing access during mood emergencies).
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.