Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Unaccessable Fort (40.04)  (Read 681 times)

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
The Unaccessable Fort (40.04)
« on: July 21, 2014, 05:56:06 am »

After rolling out a new 40.04 world and embarking in year two for a long fort I stumbled upon the secrets of older dwarfdom. I now know now how dwarves made underground forts without an above ground entrance. And I will teach you this secret for the cheap price of 14.99 out of the good dwarf-ness of my heart.
Steps:
1. Do that embark thing in a location you can reach a non-smooth natural stone with at least 1 pick.
2. Reach a stone floor, pick a good place for a non-existant entrance.
3. Make sure you have no active engravers and set it to smoothing. Then overwrite with downwards stairs.
4. Dig out your entrance, move all your goods through, and pick a dwarf that can (A) survive as a hermit or (B) you don't mind being mortally challenged.
5. Activate the selected dwarf's engraving labor.
???
6. Profit.

P.S. I'm not joking it works.
P.P.S. You could leave a pick outside so future migrant waves can enter, but you'll need another non-smooth natural stone floor.
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: The Unaccessable Fort (40.04)
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 07:46:58 am »

I believe a similar bug helps to create engraved constructed walls, I've had engraved brass walls this way.

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Unaccessable Fort (40.04)
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 10:39:15 am »

uh? if you just want to make a fort without entrance and leave a dwarf behind, you can just construct a down or an up/down stair on the surface and continue digging underground, then leave one dwarf behind on the surface to de-construct the access stair and it's like you never been there ;)