Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 40.03: Why can't I brew?  (Read 7287 times)

My Urist Eternal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
40.03: Why can't I brew?
« on: July 17, 2014, 04:49:58 pm »

I'm wondering if this is a bug in 40.03 or if I'm missing something crazy. I don't get "brew drink" as an option in my still. I've only got "extract from plants" and "make mead". Never had this problem before. I have empty rock pots and barrels. I have plump helmets. I have the Brewing labor enabled on a dwarf. In the Kitchen menu, "Brew" is not even available alongside "cook" as an on/off option. Somehow the game does not register that brewing is possible. This is a Haunted biome -- could that make a difference somehow?

McDonald

• Bay Watcher
  • Passwords get hidden, who knew? ••••••••
    • View Profile
Re: 40.03: Why can't I brew?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2014, 05:00:21 pm »

Is the option red, or is it entirely missing?
I'm with stupid |
                      v

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2014, 05:20:52 pm »

Try removing all burrows that cover the still... burrows and reactions don't mix.

Verjigorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2014, 05:26:37 pm »

Are you sure some idiot isn't hauling a barrel full of plump helmets around, trying to harvest them?   That can lead to problems.

I've had the same problem happen to me, but it seemed to fix itself.

My Urist Eternal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2014, 05:36:26 pm »

The Brew option is entirely missing. Very strange. First time I've ever seen this. Unfortunately I went to a lot of effort to get exactly the embark I wanted and now I'm facing death by inability to brew.  :o

Also, I don't have any burrows defined. And even if some idiot is hauling a barrel around I should still at least see the Brew options in the still and the kitchen menu...

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2014, 05:47:06 pm »

Go to
Dwarf Fortress\Raw\objects

and open

reaction_other.txt

Are the file and the "Brew drink from plant" reaction intact?

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2014, 06:02:10 pm »

The Brew option is entirely missing.

Most likely you installed a graphics set intended for an older release.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2014, 06:04:51 pm »

Yeah, if the option itself isn't there then your raws are screwed up.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

My Urist Eternal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2014, 04:46:11 pm »

Are the file and the "Brew drink from plant" reaction intact?

I opened the file and I don't see anything about brewing a drink from a plant. This is the first time I've ever looked at a raw and the date on the file is from 2012. Thanks for the help.

Leaf

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2014, 11:10:40 am »

I am having a problem with brewing, too....  I have a 3x3 stockpile right next to the still, which takes plump helmets, pig tails, cave wheat, and sweet pods in barrels from the central food stockpile.  This stockpile then gives to the still.  The small stockpile is set to "links only".  There are tons of plump helmets in the small stockpile, and they are turned on for brewing in the kitchen.  I have one dwarf with brewing assigned, and all hauling turned off.  I also have plenty of barrels (10 or 12) in the furniture stockpile.  I have also tried removing all burrows from overtop the still and small stockpile like suggested above.  The only dwarves I have assigned to burrows are the on-duty soldiers watching the drawbridge for thieves.

When I try to add a task to the still, "brew a plant" is shown in red.  If I then press "b" to brew anyway, it says "Unrotten DRINK_MAT-producing plants", "Empty Food storage item", "DRINK_MAT Drinks [5]", and "SEED_MAT Seeds" in white.  Then far below in red it says "Takes place at Still".

This is a reclaimed fortress (alligators ate all my dorfs in the first month the first time I started it), so my first thought was that there was a bug where it wouldn't use "(barrels)", but upon checking closer, there are non-reclaimed barrels in the furniture stockpile, too.  I tried making a bunch more anyway just to see, and it still won't take the brewing job.

Any ideas?  I am at a loss.  According to the wiki, I have everything I need, but am I missing something that has changed in this new release???

Thanks, y'all.

Edit: Maybe I should also mention, the stacks of plump helmets in the barrels range from 1 to 6 items.  Could this be causing it to think there aren't big enough stacks to brew?  I've never been able to figure out how to combine the stacks, though....

Reedit: I've also tried tearing down the still and building a new one in case the workshop was bugged out or something, but that didn't make it happen, either.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 11:16:30 am by Leaf »

Z1000000m

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2014, 01:39:09 pm »

You cant combine stacks in df, ever.

Whne in doubt, disallow barrels form plant stock. Sure, its inefficient but it works.
You'd think the best way would be to have a stockpile with barrels accepting everything, with it feeding a smaller stockpile with no barrels allowed. Suprise, suprise, it doesnt work even though it should. I hope toady hammers down the hauling related issues soon, container related quirks and bugs are ridiculous.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 01:42:04 pm by Z1000000m »

Leaf

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2014, 01:56:35 pm »

I am thinking I should have tried setting the furniture stockpile to give barrels to the still, too, but I didn't think of it; just assumed that setting that one stockpile to give plump helmets to the still would keep those from being used in the kitchen....  But maybe the still will /only/ take from stockpiles that are set to give to it, if any are set....

Sadly though, that fortress fell to a megabeast, so I am just starting a new one.  Hopefully having a linked barrel stockpile will fix it, rather than expecting it to just pull them from central furniture stockpile.  Once I get that far...

The fact that the "container" in reagents isn't redded out leads me to believe that it thinks it can get a barrel, though, and that something else is wrong. :(  I guess I'll find out here in a couple of hours....

Thanks again, y'all.

Verjigorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2014, 02:05:11 pm »

The Brew option is entirely missing. Very strange. First time I've ever seen this. Unfortunately I went to a lot of effort to get exactly the embark I wanted and now I'm facing death by inability to brew.  :o

Also, I don't have any burrows defined. And even if some idiot is hauling a barrel around I should still at least see the Brew options in the still and the kitchen menu...

No, I Know exactly what you're talking about, you go to the still and when you try to order up a job, the  only option is to make an extract from plant, right?  I don't know what causes it, but it's happened frequently to me in 40.03.  I don't know how I fixed it though.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2014, 02:55:02 pm »

I have a 3x3 stockpile right next to the still, which takes plump helmets, pig tails, cave wheat, and sweet pods in barrels from the central food stockpile.  This stockpile then gives to the still.

OK.  This means you also need a furniture stockpile which accepts pots/barrels, giving to the same Still.

The small stockpile is set to "links only".  There are tons of plump helmets in the small stockpile, and they are turned on for brewing in the kitchen.  I have one dwarf with brewing assigned, and all hauling turned off.  I also have plenty of barrels (10 or 12) in the furniture stockpile.

This barrel stockpile must give to the Still.

When I try to add a task to the still, "brew a plant" is shown in red.

This is the expected behavior when one of the reaction's reagents is not available.  Either because your barrel stockpile isn't set to give to the Still, or because every barrel in the barrel stockpile is earmarked for something else, or because every plant barrel in the plant stockpile is earmarked for something else (hauling).

If you want to be totally sure that your plants are not earmarked for hauling when you're trying to brew them, then you must disable barrels in that stockpile.  (And probably increase the size of the stockpile to compensate.)  If you don't want to do that, then you'll have to be patient, wait for the hauler to bring the barrel out of the stockpile, fill it up, and bring it back, then try the brewing reaction again.

Also, make sure the barrel stockpile is set to give to the Still.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Panando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2014, 10:14:22 pm »

I had some problems with brewing initially with .40.x but now I seem to have more-or-less no problems.

The first thing is that the game is somewhat finicky about where the reagents are, for example if you bring berries from embark, you have to dump the berries from the bags, because fruit inside bags cannot be brewed. You don't have this problem with fruit purchased from caravans as it does not come in bags. Many kinds of harvested plants simply cannot be brewed via any means I know of, the solution to this is to not grow any which can't be brewed.

Sometimes it seems that the fruit needs to be in a stockpile before it can be brewed (i.e. it hasn't been taken from the depot), could be my imagination.

Sometimes workshops of all kinds, including stills, appear to get "stuck" and stop working. Often ordering the workshop to be deconstructed, then cancelling the order, is enough to "unstick" them. Otherwise actually deconstruct and build a new one. Could be malformed "forgotten" stockpile links, of course, but I don't think so.

Very occasionally stockpiles appear to get "stuck" and stop receiving new stuff - it could be from accidentally pressing 'a', I have not checked closely enough to rule out that possibility, but in any case removing and reassigning the stockpile will cause it to work again.

Final thing to say - yes, if a workshop needs two things to make it's product - say, a barrel and a plant, then if you link a plant stockpile, you MUST link a barrel stockpile too. Making a stockpile give to a workshop absolutely prohibits that workshop from taking anything which isn't in a linked stockpile, no exceptions and no sanity checks. However in my experience there is really no need to ever link stockpiles to stills even though having stockpiles nearby certainly helps.
Punch through a multi-z aquifer in under 5 minutes, video walkthrough. I post as /u/BlakeMW on reddit.