Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The easy way to make custom civs discovered?  (Read 1829 times)

not0k_Farmerhand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The easy way to make custom civs discovered?
« on: July 14, 2014, 01:03:38 am »

I've always thought making civs was a mystery so I spent some time looking through some files and am I right when I see these as the only things in your way of making a new civ?
   [CREATURE:DWARF]  // The entity you made somewhere else with its organs, and child birth and female gender or not, etc.

[TRANSLATION:DWARF] // its the language_##### name file after _?

So the civ is only these two entries? Am I reading this right? Will I encounter any other issues just swapping in say, zombies where DWARF is. The race file has this:

[PROFESSION_NAME:NAME:name:names]

but now I think these only have to do with giving people who attempt a certain skill set thats allowed via
   [PERMITTED_JOB:######]
to get a fancy end name for that skill per that civ defined per that .... region?

I'll admit not sure what the [ENTITY:MOUNTAIN] means.

Just trying to find out what else is necessary about making a new civ race via an old civ race entry without causing the game to explode. (unrelated, it is remarkable to see the length of depth that went into making a hair growth system for creatures. I mean, thats insane.)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 01:06:36 am by not0k_Farmerhand »

not0k_Farmerhand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The easy way to make custom civs discovered?
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2014, 01:38:12 am »

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Modding_guide#Modding_civilizations_.28entities.29
oh thank you, that should answer my questions.

Time to make my dragon civ. I hope there are no issues with having flying entities in your civ.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2014, 01:40:28 am »

No problem.  There's an entities thread on the front page here which might be a good place for your questions that come up, but the wiki is a great place to start.

I suspect that flying entities will screw up the pathfinding in your fort, but, only one way to find out :)

not0k_Farmerhand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2014, 01:43:07 am »

Oh ok I will still test it out.

samanato

• Bay Watcher
  • @ Gardevoirite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2014, 01:48:55 am »

Flying siegers are broken too iirc, so I wouldn't use those for hostile races.

not0k_Farmerhand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2014, 02:14:56 am »

oh, when you say broken, do they not move towards buildings and only move outside or do they only stay still and not move at all?

Godlysockpuppet

• Bay Watcher
  • [Insert wit here]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2014, 07:16:01 am »

oh, when you say broken, do they not move towards buildings and only move outside or do they only stay still and not move at all?
They fly one tile up in the air where they enter the map and refuse to move again (basically they freeze midair). If you make a squad go near them they'll unfreeze and attack your dorfs as normal, but they can't path towards your fort while in midair.

not0k_Farmerhand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2014, 01:58:28 pm »

They fly one tile up in the air where they enter the map and refuse to move again (basically they freeze midair). If you make a squad go near them they'll unfreeze and attack your dorfs as normal, but they can't path towards your fort while in midair.

Wow is there some reason wild beasts who fly work and wild beasts during sieges dont work?

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2014, 02:03:43 pm »

probably because wild beasts aren't trying to go anywhere in particular, so they don't have to try to path-find in 3D

not0k_Farmerhand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2014, 02:19:30 pm »

Oh I see. Strange I wonder why they can path to a target but cant roam freely. Maybe they just cant path between levels because their need to use stairs or ramps is removed when the flier tags are added.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2014, 03:44:12 pm »

In the current version flyers are pretty bugged, and ability to climb is useful enough for these things. You can make dragons climb at the speed of running...
._.