Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Urist McHauler is Horrified!  (Read 4524 times)

Torrenal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Urist McHauler is Horrified!
« on: July 23, 2014, 08:57:47 pm »

I had (as best as I can tell...) one of my first seven dwarves climb a tree, fall out into a river, and drown.

Meh, old news.

I have a corpse in my river.  Worse yet, it's not some silly goblin corpse, it's a Dwarf corpse.  One of my founding 7 dwarves.  Every one of my 6 remaining dwarves knows him.

Now I'm getting spammed with "Urist McHauler is Horrified!" cancellation spam as dwarves trundle up to the stream to haul fish back for stowing.   Or more infrequently as dwarves head out there to drink...
Yes.  It's a corpse of a dwarf.
Yes.  It used to be your friend.
If you find it such a horror, get it out of the river and bury the dang thing...

It's a bit early for me to be trying any projects to drain the river just to remove a corpse.

Any suggestions for this?  So far, my only action has been to prune all trees overhanging the river.  I'm about to throw up a bridge over the corpse to break LoS, but I'd rather give the fella a proper burial.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Re: Urist McHauler is Horrified!
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 09:02:09 pm »

The dwarves have a low Discipline skill, and are easily horrified by death/corpses/corpse chunks. The skill increases when dwarves are exposed to that kind of thing. Basically, if you let them see lots of corpses, they will react less to corpses.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 09:03:29 pm »

Not only that, getting a corpse out of a river is difficult.  Not impossible, mind you, but rarely worth the trouble.

Build him a nice slab.  That seems to calm everyone down in my forts.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Jorn Stones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 09:28:21 pm »

I wonder what happens when you close your dining hall's doors, and retract the bridge overhead, allowing the 100 corpses and skeletons you stockpiled to fall in between all of your dwarfs..

Or if you spread corpses all around the map, will any invader panic and quickly run off the map?

Panando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2014, 09:54:35 pm »

I normally diligently dump all the sentient corpses. But I forbade the tooth of a sentient enemy so it would be kept around to regularly traumatize the haulers. Pretty funny watching the dwarves getting horrified by a goblin tooth.

As for the corpse in the river, just build a pump with the pump inlet over the corpse, try to direct the output into a channel or even back into the river (you need to build walls around the pump outlet to force the water down). Have a dwarf operate the pump, and the dwarves can simply pick up the corpse from the tile while the pump is keeping it dry.
Punch through a multi-z aquifer in under 5 minutes, video walkthrough. I post as /u/BlakeMW on reddit.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2014, 10:09:59 pm »

I wonder what happens when you close your dining hall's doors, and retract the bridge overhead, allowing the 100 corpses and skeletons you stockpiled to fall in between all of your dwarfs.

Dwarves get injured or die because corpses are heavy and fall on their heads? Even more corpses and horror?

Pretty funny watching the dwarves getting horrified by a goblin tooth.

I wonder, is it the number of body parts or the number of "name tags" that would boost horror. If the former, you could maximize horror using serrated disc traps. The latter, you only need to keep one token lightweight body part per creature.

I do know that the part has to retain the original owner's name for recognition. Otherwise the death comments are pretty generic.

Monk321654

• Bay Watcher
  • [COMPUTER_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2014, 12:48:58 am »

Dwarven dentistry suddenly got a whole lot more hilarious.
This is a side-effect of dwarven animal training (hit animal with hammer until it forgets that it hates you, then lovingly cuddle it).

I'm not your average Bay12er. I care about my drunken midgets.

Torrenal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2014, 07:48:25 pm »

So, the general mood I'm hearing is:
  "Make a meeting zone as close to the corpse as possible, and my dwarves will not die of thirst should a goblin get stuck in view of the stairs to the ale stores."

HawaiianJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Hawaiian Shirts are amazing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2014, 09:57:17 pm »

... My dwarves were horrified by a Wolverine's Eye's Tooth.
... Eye. Teeth.
Eyes with teeth.
I understand their horror.
Probably didn't help that there was a 30 strong undead army approaching.
Flaming Baby Catapult

Panando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2014, 10:03:23 pm »

So, the general mood I'm hearing is:
  "Make a meeting zone as close to the corpse as possible, and my dwarves will not die of thirst should a goblin get stuck in view of the stairs to the ale stores."

Exposing dwarves to corpses appears to be nearly entirely ineffectual at training discipline. But it does seem to set some kind of timer on being horrified again, so keeping a skeleton in your meeting hall will probably grant your dwarves temporary protection from being horrified on excursions to the great outdoors. But this really needs more testing.
Punch through a multi-z aquifer in under 5 minutes, video walkthrough. I post as /u/BlakeMW on reddit.

Solon64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2014, 12:04:21 am »

... Eye. Teeth.
Eyes with teeth.

Your eye tooth is one of your normal teeth, your canine or cuspid to be precise.  Not eyes with teeth.

I can only imagine that a goblin canine tooth would be pretty gnarly looking though, so perhaps it could be horrifying enough for a dwarf to wet himself.  But no, that undead army couldnt help either.
PS: Seriously, you must have, like, super-getting-lost skills. You could go missing in a straight corridor and impale yourself on flat ground if I don't tell you where to go.

HawaiianJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Hawaiian Shirts are amazing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2014, 12:07:56 am »

... Eye. Teeth.
Eyes with teeth.

Your eye tooth is one of your normal teeth, your canine or cuspid to be precise.  Not eyes with teeth.

I can only imagine that a goblin canine tooth would be pretty gnarly looking though, so perhaps it could be horrifying enough for a dwarf to wet himself.  But no, that undead army couldnt help either.

I feel like an idiot now XD.
Ah well, then I shall proceed to lure the 30 undead goblins to my retracting bridge over a long fall and a pit of spikes.
Flaming Baby Catapult