Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hmm.. undead quandry.  (Read 1437 times)

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Hmm.. undead quandry.
« on: July 14, 2014, 09:57:50 pm »

So, after adventuring all day (no crashes! yay) I finally acted out a suggestion from a human lord to extinguish a nearby bandit camp (is that what I'm supposed to do?) This was my first potential for some loot and maybe score some dwarf sized armor. My two companions were decent, although my crossbowman used all his ammo on some animals or something, he still holds his own by clobbering people with his crossbow.

So I got to the camp, and the bandits were push overs, most of them were sleeping. The commander put up a decent fight until I decapitated him. Then, I threw his head into my backpack as proof (do I need proof? dunno).

What I didn't notice because of the snow was that the camp was in an evil hills biome. The commanders animated head then tore an artery in my arm, then the corpses started waking up and they were much, much more dangerous than the original bandits. They killed my companions quickly while I bled to death trying to run away.

Is there some way to kill someone and prevent reanimation? If I butcher them, will it make things worse and get myself strangled by their animated guts? What do I need for proof of the deed? Is there an identifying body part that is safe to pick up?
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

Awessum Possum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hmm.. undead quandry.
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 10:01:33 pm »

I think butchering will destroy the most threatening body parts, but unless you are an elf you can't butcher sentients. Your best bet is to strangle your enemies into unconsciousness and then turn them into sushi before killing them.
because everyone here is OCD and ADHD, and then complain when their dwarfs act similarly in game.
@I used to be an axelord like you, until I took a (+bronze bolt+) to the upper leg, chipping the bone through the *copper leggings*!@

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2014, 10:04:47 pm »

I think butchering will destroy the most threatening body parts, but unless you are an elf you can't butcher sentients. Your best bet is to strangle your enemies into unconsciousness and then turn them into sushi before killing them.

Hmm, turn them into sushi before killing them? It's an important detail because things get ugly fast if they happen to die. What exactly do you mean?

My latest forts:

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2014, 11:14:49 pm »

you can butcher sentients now, I been gutting gobbos and folks since 01 came out.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

ClorrProdigal

• Bay Watcher
  • My God! It's full of dwarves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2014, 11:49:55 pm »

you can butcher sentients now, I been gutting gobbos and folks since 01 came out.
I like to butcher impressive enemies and keep their skulls as trophies, since skulls don't reanimate. 

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2014, 12:12:03 am »

I like to butcher impressive enemies and keep their skulls as trophies, since skulls don't reanimate.
fit for animation no, but with out that 'reanimation' yes. only the meat won't come back to life.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2014, 03:34:36 am »

Use blunt attacks. The parts shouldn't raise if they're "mangled".
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2014, 07:51:29 am »

So anyway, I went back to an old save to be more careful about the rising dead. I killed the leader, butchered him and took his skull.

However, the skull did not impress the lord who told me about the camp. When I tried to trade the skull to him, threw the skull in the room or dropped the skull next to the lord, he still insisted that the leader was alive and back at the camp.

Really, I have no idea what it means when a lord says he's having various troubles, or what I can do about it. When I ask about criminals, and he gives a camp location without naming a specific individual, what do I do?

My latest forts: