Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: high boots (foreign)  (Read 856 times)

KtosoX

• Bay Watcher
  • Playing DF since 18.08.2010
    • View Profile
high boots (foreign)
« on: July 14, 2014, 11:33:59 am »

My dwarfs forgot how high boots work. And I'm not talking about wearing them. High boots show up on the military screen as foreign, and I can't craft them. Is this a bug or a new feature that I missed?
Build a grid of floor grates above the entire city. Draft a squadron of masons and bomb the crap out of the city with falling constructed walls.
The Geneva Convention would like to have a word with you.
Quote from: Aleksanderus
I have clicked "d" in a forge and look what it did!

sal880612m

• Bay Watcher
  • [SANITY:OPTIONAL]
    • View Profile
Re: high boots (foreign)
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 11:38:42 am »

Sounds like you got a dwarven civ that isn't able to craft them. You might still be able to get them by trading though. It's not new and is intended behaviour as far as I can tell. I haven't ever actually checked whether they were considered foreign when you couldn't craft them but unless someone else says so I would assume it isn't a bug.
"I was chopping off little bits of 'im till he talked, startin' at the toes."
"You probably should have stopped sometime before his eyes."

Niyazov

• Bay Watcher
  • shovel them under and let me work - I am the grass
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2014, 11:50:37 am »

Clothing also varies from civ to civ; most of the time you can't make togas, but occasionally you'll start with a civ that can. The most unusual clothing variant is the metal mask, which is considered clothing but prevents the wearer from wearing a cap or helmet. You see these occasionally on goblin civs. In earlier versions I seem to recall that invaders could arrive unfairly wearing both masks and helmets, but I could be wrong.

Not being able to make high boots is not a serious handicap. The low boots you craft will probably be better than high boots you can trade for, even though low boots do offer slightly less coverage.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2014, 11:57:11 am »

Non-high-boot-knowing civs seem to be much more common since .40.X was released.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

KtosoX

• Bay Watcher
  • Playing DF since 18.08.2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2014, 01:21:15 pm »

Wow, this is weird... I just got the first caravan, but there is no liaison. Instead, I got this message: "No outpost liaison? How curious..." Is this a feature as well? Did I generate a very peculiar civ or something?
Build a grid of floor grates above the entire city. Draft a squadron of masons and bomb the crap out of the city with falling constructed walls.
The Geneva Convention would like to have a word with you.
Quote from: Aleksanderus
I have clicked "d" in a forge and look what it did!

Dyret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2014, 01:32:00 pm »

Maybe he got eaten by giant dingos on the way or something? The world is after all active now.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2014, 02:38:56 pm »

I didn't know that metal masks prevent caps/helmets. This is sad, I always added them to my uniform when the gobs brought some. Which was not very often. So, I will now have to refrain from that.

Deepblade

• Bay Watcher
  • Tholtarmid
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2014, 05:31:23 pm »

Yep, Caps, Masks, and Helms are all (S)haped items. This means they can't be worn in conjunction with each other.
Masks have a coverage of 50 and no armor level, even when made of metal, and can not be made by dwarves, unless you mod the game, resulting in very poorly crafted pieces for your use.
A metal cap has a coverage of 50, but has an armor level of 1 when made of metal, can be crafted natively.
And Helms have a coverage of 100 and an armor level of 1, 2 when made out of metal.

What does all this mean? Helms are the bee's knees without modding. The simple thing to do would just be to remove the [SHAPED] tag from the masks.
But, If you really like masks then the thing to do would be to go into your ENTITY_DEFAULT.txt file and add [HELM:ITEM_HELM_MASK:FORCED] somewhere under the ENTITY_MOUNTAIN, right under the helms is where I put mine. They'll be made by your armorsmiths, clothiers, and leatherworkers. Since they don't have any armor levels at all they'll be claimed by your civs. If that's a problem you'll need to add either [ARMORLEVEL:1], you could also use [METAL_ARMOR_LEVELS] if you want the metals masks to be better than the leather and cloth ones, or even just metal armor levels.

I know the changes to the entity file will require a new gen if I'm not mistaken. Probably also for removing the shaped tag.
Deepblade's Standardized Creature Parts, for when you're pissed about all the different types of animal products there are.

KingBacon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2014, 05:34:50 pm »

I have a theory that the lack of high boot technology during world gen increases the likelihood of dwarven extinction....
    e    e   e    U   U     
, , , . , , , , , , , ; , , , , , ; , , , , , 
. . . . . . . e U e   . . 0╬0 
###x##############
###x .  . ☼ ☼####£####
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~