Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Large pots vs Barrels and materials  (Read 700 times)

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
  • Programmer and Space Enthusiast
    • View Profile
Large pots vs Barrels and materials
« on: July 14, 2014, 07:10:11 pm »

Should I use large pots over barrels for food/drink storage? I'd kind of forgotten large pots exist at all. Also, what is the best material to make large pots out of? (Glass, ceramic, metal, etc)
"ERUTH PULL THE DAMN LEVER THE ZOMBIES ARE ABOUT TO GET INSIDE!"
"zzz"
BAY 12 MINI CITY: http://bay-12.myminicity.com/

sal880612m

• Bay Watcher
  • [SANITY:OPTIONAL]
    • View Profile
Re: Large pots vs Barrels and materials
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 07:21:45 pm »

Large pots are I think 1/4 the weight of barrels and have higher storage capacity. There are some things you can't use them for but in general they are the better option. It really depends on what is available. Lighter materials are better so check http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Density and compare to what you have lots of. Keep in mind that while not ideal Glass and Stoneware are infinitely producable if you have magma forges. Earthenware while theoretically unlimited requires glazing to store some things.

Making dwarven syrup and constructing buildings like Asheries require barrels. Also barrels and pots are equally efficient in storing booze.
"I was chopping off little bits of 'im till he talked, startin' at the toes."
"You probably should have stopped sometime before his eyes."

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2014, 07:25:02 pm »

Thanks. One of my chief concerns was weight, so that answers that. Also, what do you mean by glass being not ideal? Just curious.
"zzz"

sal880612m

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2014, 07:35:10 pm »

If you check out the density glass is 26x more dense then feather tree wood. I meant that it was less ideal in that sense.

Also it's density is 2600 whereas general stone is only 70 more. If you don't have magma forges it requires fuel, and even if you do it requires multiple processing steps.Gathering sand and making pots. Gathering sand further requires having bags. It may be easier to just use stone pots.

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2014, 07:45:08 pm »

Ah, ok, that makes sense. Thanks :)
"zzz"

Panando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2014, 07:56:06 pm »

Glass can be a great option if you embark with the sand and plan to either get magma forges going, or have bit. coal/lignite. Embark sand is very cheap. Of course you can't win with glass if you're burning wood to make charcoal - you'd be better off with wood pots.

But I do like the glass industry, if it's a long way to the forges you can use minecarts as 'megabins' (that is, at the sand collection you put a stop, and at the forges you put a stop on a track stop set to dump, and just have the dwarves haul the minecart - because sand bags are surprisingly light you can save a lot of dwarf time that way).

One reason I like sand is I tend to be pretty minimalistic in my digging, I like compact fortresses. Those stones are all needed for blocks and mechanisms. Glass and wood can be used for basically everything else.

If you're luck enough to have fireclay you can make stoneware pots that don't require glazing to hold booze. Otherwise, the glazing requirements make stoneware a no-win for booze. But you can use unglazed low-grade clay stoneware to store food - you just have to be careful with the furniture stockpiles and put a stockpile only allowing quality material pots/barrels near the still, and a stockpile only allowing crap material pots near the food stockpiles. I've only done this once, but it did work well.

Sand requires a bag, clay doesn't but clay is extremely heavy meaning a dwarf effectively needs a wheelbarrow to move clay... basically sand is better in this regard if you embark with sand so get heaps of free bags, but clay works with smart wheelbarrow or minecart use, or if you bring magma to the clay, or clay to the magma.
Punch through a multi-z aquifer in under 5 minutes, video walkthrough. I post as /u/BlakeMW on reddit.

sal880612m

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2014, 08:05:05 pm »

Trying not to have a pedantic moment here but not all ceramics are the same.
Fire Clay will produce Stoneware which doesn't need to be glazed to store booze.
All other types of clay will produce Earthenware which does need to be glazed to store booze.
I am not sure whether Porcelain requires glazing but as it is limited it isn't a good option.

samanato

• Bay Watcher
  • @ Gardevoirite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2014, 08:07:55 pm »

Porcelain doesn't require glazing; only things with the [ABSORPTION] tag needs glazing to be watertight.