Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Stories of Times You Introduced Friends to Dwarf Fortress.  (Read 15590 times)

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
Re: Stories of Times You Introduced Friends to Dwarf Fortress.
« Reply #60 on: June 18, 2014, 09:56:09 pm »

Showed it to one friend; he brought some rabbits with him on embark, and then couldn't get them into a pasture, so they starved to death. This made him sad and frustrated. Then he tried to build a big ol' wall around his fort entrance, and it was half done when the goblins showed up. All his dwarves were mercilessly slaughtered. This also made him sad and frustrated.

My other friend also tried it on his own, and the next day when he saw me, he was just like, "I don't understand it. What's happening?"

Regardless of the fact that none of them can figure out how to play, they all seem to entertained by my stories of danger-room babies and mining accidents.

Innocent Dave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 19, 2014, 06:36:26 am »

"I don't understand it. What's happening?"

...is pretty much a perfect summation of every response I've ever had to playing DF in communal areas, as well as of most of my first few forts...
Reaching one's life goal shouldn't come with a happy thought.  It should come with a sudden existential crisis.

Romegypt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 14, 2014, 02:47:29 pm »

I've got 3 people (neighbors) all interested in it, but they barley have time for the games they are playing now, much less DF. The youngest has tried it though, and the 16 yr old says she will soon. Also, a couple friends from church. They all kinda expected it.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]