Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The severd neck flies off in an arc!  (Read 983 times)

WJLIII3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The severd neck flies off in an arc!
« on: July 12, 2014, 02:19:50 am »

Is necks being chopped off new in 40, or am I just noticing it? While awesome, I'm pretty sure its definitely impossible to throw someone's neck ten yards away and still have both their heart and their skull in the piece you've got.

Cyroth

• Bay Watcher
  • [FABULOUS]
    • View Profile
Re: The severd neck flies off in an arc!
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2014, 02:54:28 am »

Yes, the neck is a new body part.

I actually think when a neck gets chopped off, the head stays attached to the neck and goes flying, too.
We just do not see it, in the same way that we don't see the fingers or toes still attached to a severed hand or foot.
Demons are preferable to ravens.
A noble just suffered a genuine unfortunate accident.
Has that ever happened before?

Floppypig

• Bay Watcher
  • looses a roaring laughter, fell and terrible!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2014, 03:22:00 am »

Try testing it on a hydra Yeah the head is attached to the neck
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 03:26:17 am by Floppypig »
“All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2014, 07:39:01 am »

Strangely though, pulping the neck does not do lethal damage. "The injured part explodes in gore" at best makes the enemy unconscious from the pain, even though the upper spine and the nerves in it are heavily damaged.

Yeah, and my human test subject is standing with compound fractures in his spine and nervous tissue, the nerves are also cut apart, so he should be paralyzed neck-down. Guess that's a bug.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 07:44:35 am by Wimopy »
Now updating the Monster Hunter Universe mod
Current Version: 0.4.95b - Updated June 17, 2015
New Thread
Download
Old Thread

ArmokGoB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2014, 07:28:59 pm »

Strangely though, pulping the neck does not do lethal damage. "The injured part explodes in gore" at best makes the enemy unconscious from the pain, even though the upper spine and the nerves in it are heavily damaged.

Yeah, and my human test subject is standing with compound fractures in his spine and nervous tissue, the nerves are also cut apart, so he should be paralyzed neck-down. Guess that's a bug.

IMO, pulped body parts should be treated as being cut off. They should bleed, be broken, torn, heavily bruised, or what have you, to cause maximum damage. A pulped throat? Bleed out. Pulped neck? Paralysis. Pulped limbs? Everything "further down" the limb should fall off due to lack of structural integrity.
Cyclopes, prepare to meet your demise at the metaphorical hands of my cushion ruby cabochons.

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2014, 02:28:01 am »

It depends on which nerves have been severed. Did is say his spine was severed or was it just the local nerves in the neck? If I remember correctly the game gives you a specific message when the spine has been severed.

From what I have seen pulped does not necessarily indicate that the body part has been completely destroyed but that it has been massively injured and most if not all cases permanently crippled. Every time I have seen one of my dwarves suffer a pulping injury, the body part involved never recovers its functionality. For instance the times I have had dwarves get a hand pulped they remained permanently grasp impaired. Those that have had feet or legs pulped need a crutch to walk for the rest of their lives.

Has anyone seen a dwarf recover fully from a pulped injury?