Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Forgotten Beast list export with Names, Descriptions?  (Read 1115 times)

Pseudobob

• Bay Watcher
  • None of you are safe!
    • View Profile
Forgotten Beast list export with Names, Descriptions?
« on: July 13, 2014, 01:28:48 am »

A friend of mine wants a list of all the forgotten beasts in a certain saved game file, with their names and descriptions and, if possible, a total count of how many there were, if/when they died, and maybe even where they were in typical legends-mode-style. But here's the catch: he wants it in an editable text file, and preferably in plain text.

I understand that these are a lot of conditions. So far we've both tried to get this data out of Legends Viewer, but it will only list their names and birth dates, and good luck manually copying that into a text file. Everything is right there in legends mode, but that's still impractical and any manual extraction would require manual typing as well. Any extraction of these values should be automatic, otherwise it's not worth his time.

Any ideas?

ScegfOd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Forgotten Beast list export with Names, Descriptions?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2014, 12:05:33 pm »

the XML dump has much (but not all) of that stuff, but I don't think you can do better than that without a 3rd party tool...
if you do use the XML dump just use find "historical" and that should zoom down to where the big monsters start (they're the first historical figures so they're at the top of a long list)
Why you kids feed troll?
We're just keeping it around so we can harvest its fur.

Pseudobob

• Bay Watcher
  • None of you are safe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 12:50:39 pm »

ScegfOd, thanks for the suggestion. I already had an XML file lying around for Legends Viewer, but I never tried to read it. Unfortunately, that proved useless; it only contained what Legends Viewer contained, and in a less useful form.

This is the kind of stuff I'm seeing:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It wouldn't be ideal if the descriptions were in there, but it could be used. But they're not, so it can't. I'm all for trying out third-party programs or scripts if it'll get the job done. The most basic requirements for this list are that it is either already a text file or can be copied into one, and that it contains (sequential) names and descriptions. Something in plain text would be great, but one can only hope.

Zeranamu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am Z
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2014, 01:26:49 pm »

You can try to use World Viewer, I've messed with it a little bit.. not entirely sure what it all can do, but it might be worth checking out. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=128932.0

Pseudobob

• Bay Watcher
  • None of you are safe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2014, 02:32:08 pm »

Zeranamu, try to use it I did. I learned that there were (or are, at the last year) 867 forgotten beasts in this save file. But that's it. Otherwise, it presents the same information as Legends Viewer, which, combined with my knowledge of the XML file, leads me to believe that the problem is in the XML dump itself. The game even says that it's an incomplete function.

So, to change the question: is there any way to extract Forgotten Beast data straight from the game files, similar to how Dwarf Therapist handles names, skills, and labour? Or is there anywhere else I might find this information? Or, and this is the last resort, is there some kind of external forgotten beast generator that can give names, descriptions, etc... I'm moving the goal posts here.

If no alternative is available, manually copying everything from the Legends in-game isn't unthinkable, it's just a lot of effort and I'm really, really lazy.