Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Starting out Fortress Ideas for New Players  (Read 1754 times)

Codyo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Starting out Fortress Ideas for New Players
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2014, 10:29:54 am »

What the heck am I doing wrong? With 40.02 I've started 6 fortresses each in a different random-gen world with very high savagery and 100+ years of history, ran them each for two years, and then restarted because I'm bored to tears. No-one, and I mean no-one attacks me. Migrants show up, trade caravans roll through, and then nothing. No Forgotten Beasts (and I only play Age of Myth worlds!) no bandits, no necromancers, no goblins, not even a baby-snatcher! It's driving me nuts. I don't use any mods or tilesets or anything. I've started in Terrifying and Sinister biomes, I've started next to goblin fortresses, and nothing happens (well clouds and rains still happen). The only things I change in the init files are to turn off the music, turn on the FPS, and turn on the water level display. Am I just terribly unlucky?

So here's a checklist for a siege
1. Before you embark, are you near a goblin civilization or necro tower? (use tab before embark). Do not embark inside mountain ranges.
2. Do you have 80 dwarves or more?
3. Have you exported enough wealth?
4. Is it autumn?

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2014, 11:27:29 am »

Mark a center tile. Shift+ move twice from it in the four compass directions. Mark these as channel squares.
These are the middle squares you need to designate from to get a round fort. channel 5 on either side of them.
After that go to the end and one in and channel the following, with each comma meaning to go to the end and in one:
This is the dimensions for a simple and fast circle fort.
Use this to them dig it three tiles thick. Dig it two z levels deep and make a wall on the top inside.

If you want to, you can also build a smaller keep wall inside of the round fort, allowing you to have an outer wall, a inner keep that can be barricaded, and a courtyard to lure foes into to shoot into oblivion and clear piece meal.

This is my standard fort pattern and is very useful vs nearly any foe. Not really useful on terrifying sites that resurrect the dead or have effect clouds.

I rarely go with round forts, but I've been experimenting with macros now so since that should take out a lot of the hassle I might have to do so now.
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2014, 05:55:25 pm »

I have yet to try Macros, so i just memorized this when i got bored once and tried masterwork mod at full.

Round forts cover allot of sight area in quick time and cost less resources, so while fiddly, they are quicker to build.
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!
Pages: 1 [2]