Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vermin and livestock  (Read 659 times)

CRM114

• Bay Watcher
  • Rutile walls
    • View Profile
Vermin and livestock
« on: July 11, 2014, 09:28:57 pm »

So I created a meeting area in DF2014 and I noticed that there were a bunch of vermin in there. I started looking around for any unattended food items or undumped refuse but everything looked squeaky clean.

Then I noticed as my livestock moved around that the vermin were tracking close to them. It appears that my pigs and turkeys are the cause, and penning them in a separate area seems to have cleared out my meeting room of the filthy vermin.

Now what I'm wondering is, whether this is something which always happened and I just never noticed or is it a new mechanic?

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
Re: Vermin and livestock
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2014, 09:36:09 pm »

Certain animal interactions include rooting. Pigs and turkeys scare up bugs and things to eat I remember the interactions from the old version but not specifically the vermin.

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2014, 10:44:08 pm »

Somebody else noticed their pig leaving a trail of lice and similiar vermin behind in another .40 thread. I think this may be a new behavior because I have never heard of or noticed this before. It's pretty cool.

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2014, 02:06:47 am »

My own experiences also suggest that animals track in vermin. I learned this when i removed a pasture as the first step in relocating my animals to a better location, they beelined straight for my dining hall, leaving a trail of lizards and slugs behind them where i was otherwise vermin free. This was a problem as i had forgotten to get any cats.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2014, 03:45:47 am »

I'm quite certain that this is the rooting behavior at work, I've watched it happen in forts from 34 and 40, and it only occurs near animals with the rooting interaction in the RAWs.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.