Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Can't Get Through Calander Thingy  (Read 1440 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: Can't Get Through Calander Thingy
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2014, 12:56:03 am »

I'm having issues past the calendar thingy. When it has to stop and calculate time even when I'm running around as an adventurer I get lag. This is on a 500yr world.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Proudnerd

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING] [CAFFEINE _DEPENDANT]
    • View Profile
    • My writing profile
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2014, 01:40:24 am »

Guys, cut the negativity - especially the ones on the defending site.

Just leave it running for a while you do something else is all I can say to this issue - besides advising you to play on a world smaller than Medium/Large. (The latter being absurdly time intensive at the moment.)

Yeah I'm playing pocket worlds and everything is good now. There are just sooooooooooo many features. Having everyone talk adds so much to the game.

Also calendar thingy is fine. That should be the forum nickname for it.
"Oi Urdim! Monom just died, can ye go fetch his old hand from the pile o' severed limbs?"
"Eh how am I supposed to know which one's his?"
"I dunno, just grab the one that stinks the least and throw it in."

palu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2014, 07:52:07 am »

It's not so much that, I'm fine with calendar thingy, as the misspelling. I know, I know, grammar nazi. It just bugs me, that's all.
Hmph, palu showing off that reading-the-instructions superpower.
The internet encourages thoughtful, intelligent discussion and if you disagree I hate you.

gnome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2014, 08:36:03 am »

Took me like an hour initially, I've found that using a medium world shaves it down to about 5-10 minutes as long as I've generated less than 500 years of history. And if it still takes ages, just try generating a new world. Different variables, different amount of time it's gonna take.

RealFear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2014, 04:40:39 pm »

Took me like an hour initially, I've found that using a medium world shaves it down to about 5-10 minutes as long as I've generated less than 500 years of history. And if it still takes ages, just try generating a new world. Different variables, different amount of time it's gonna take.

I would recommend even against using a medium world.
especially if your playing adventure mode, as your gonna be dying very suddenly and being doing more then one character.
It's a reverse hostage situation, if you kill the snatchers they'll fill your fort with babies.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2014, 05:03:36 pm »

Medium worlds are fine if you don't run them for too long. Smaller worlds let you run history longer and remain tolerable, mind you.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2014, 05:15:10 pm »

Sounds like a small world is ideal for now. I really liked my medium worlds, can't wait for the fix :)
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2014, 05:20:17 pm »

I have generated many worlds, and I have found that the history length doesn't matter as much as the SIZE of the world and NUMBER OF CIVS involved.

This is probably because the overall history of the world only marginally affects the population to rise (it often falls), but the size and number of civs involved dramaitcally increases the number of beings in the world to simulate.

A Pocket World with a history of 1050 gets through the two weeks rather quickly.

A Large world, with a very high civ count with a history of only 5 can take about 20 minutes to get through the 2 week starting phase.

The perfect size, I think, is Small (65x65) with a Long (550) History and medium everything else. Maybe a higher savagery for extra !FUN!

It goes through the two weeks (which, if you're doing Adventure mode might be often) in only minute or two.

If you like bigger worlds, just reduce the population a bit. The population is the thing making it slow as shit.
Pages: 1 [2]