Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tracking?  (Read 971 times)

TheSaberTooth

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:BITE:16]
    • View Profile
Tracking?
« on: July 10, 2014, 03:27:42 pm »

What do the multicolored "!"'s and "!!"'s mean? I see them everywhere in towns and such but I don't know what it is.
When all is lost, remember the bees.
What the fuck. Is some random undorfed recruit now our new Darkwing? Hell, even Darkwing just managed to kill two clowns before he went down. It's beyond me that a frigging recruit in the Official Voidspawn Feeding Detachment managed a triple kill on Forgotten Armokhumping Beasts.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tracking?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 03:35:24 pm »

My guess is that that is people talking.

TheDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014, 03:35:43 pm »

What do the multicolored "!"'s and "!!"'s mean? I see them everywhere in towns and such but I don't know what it is.

Those that are outside of your vision range? Those are sounds, indicating someone being present in that area.

As for actual tracking, press 'l'ook and then trac'k', then 'l'ook again to go back to movement with tracking activated. In this mode, you'll see a bunch of markings, which give you information about how other creatures have been moving in the area.
I love this community. Somebody asks "hay guise how do i tame shark", and then everybody is like "why don't we fling sharks at things with complex mechanical devices?".

RealFear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 06:57:53 pm »

Blues are talking, oranges are movement noises, and i think red is combat noises, but i'm not as sure about the red ones.
It's a reverse hostage situation, if you kill the snatchers they'll fill your fort with babies.

Elaxter

• Bay Watcher
  • That one guy you don't know.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 07:02:05 pm »

Those that are outside of your vision range? Those are sounds, indicating someone being present in that area.

As for actual tracking, press 'l'ook and then trac'k', then 'l'ook again to go back to movement with tracking activated. In this mode, you'll see a bunch of markings, which give you information about how other creatures have been moving in the area.

The new version has changed the incorrect mapping. It is now capital K.
Sig
You must kill yourself before you kills you.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2014, 07:24:02 pm »

Yeah, red is combat noises.  You get the double ! if they are really loud.  There are rare green ! that come from operating a mechanism -- I'm going to try to use that for "environmental" noises as long as the system stays with that overall scheme.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

TheSaberTooth

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:BITE:16]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2014, 10:23:59 pm »

@All of the above
I see, Thanks for the help. I believe I've also seen a dark red ! while in battle. Going to go try to find one.

EDIT: Oh it just means the sound started to fade.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 10:55:13 pm by TheSaberTooth »
When all is lost, remember the bees.
What the fuck. Is some random undorfed recruit now our new Darkwing? Hell, even Darkwing just managed to kill two clowns before he went down. It's beyond me that a frigging recruit in the Official Voidspawn Feeding Detachment managed a triple kill on Forgotten Armokhumping Beasts.