Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vabokotad (Ramul En), The fortress housed in the cliffs (Succession Fortress)  (Read 1008 times)

Coreyrn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Welcome to Vabokotad, dear traveler. Take a seat and share a mug of ale with me while I will tell you of my dear home Vabokotad.

It feels like ages but it has been only one year since we got here, counting seven fine dwarves, full of vigor to find a new home for themselves.
Thus we stumbled upon the cliffs, we now call Vabokotad. Full of unnecessary trees and grass, hiding the beautiful rock.
We had barely parked the wagon and picked up our equipment when the rain began. Our boots full of water and soaked to our very core we struck the earth and sought shelter from the dreaded wetness. Only our brave woodcutter dared to wade through the storms to cut down the trees above our new home.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

At first we had nothing more but a tunnel through which you just wandered into our humble abode, not even the small moat and bridge existed back then, it wasn't more than a cave giving us shelter.
But our miners didn't rest and carved a few simple rooms into the earth, creating room for our plump helmet farms and the livestock.
And we struck deeper, carving out a small hall for us to rest in, for us to store our goods.
We set up the first beds beside the stacked stones, transported all our goods from the wagon into the safe embrace of the mountain. Barely had we brought in the last goods, when the first migrants arrived. A chosen few who had seen us from afar, hoping to join us in our endeavour.
They were welcomed into our home, just as you were.

With more hands to help us we carved even deeper into the rock, making room for more workshops, giving material to our mason, to churn out doors, cabinets and coffers beside our carpenter creating bins to tame the flood of goods in our halls.
But the happiest occasion of all was the first ale brewed in our very own still. Such happiness can only be found in a dwarven brewed ale.

Motivated by our new flood of alcoholic beverages, we uncovered the new layer, carving out this very hall that we sit in now. Back then it was just rough stone but with the next wave of migrants we found some handy workers of stone who smoothed this fine hall into what you see now.
We set up these very tables and chairs and held a party with our freshly brewed ale. Finally we had something we could really call home, only one basic thing remained, a room for us to sleep in, where we didn't live in danger of being crushed by stacked up rock.

And thus we went even deeper into the mountain, digging out more room, setting up beds and cabinets. No more mortal danger while sleeping in our beds, it could only go uphill.
We worked relentlessly carving out more farms, stockpiles and luxurious rooms for us to live in.
Now a year has gone by and I feel tired of my burden leading this fine fortress. I have called for a meeting, searching out my successor to lead Vabokotad to glory!

It could even be your traveler, are you ready to follow in my footsteps?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I only had the idea of making a succession fort out of this, after I was through 3/4 of the first year, the fortress is now exactly one year old and currently in the process of smoothing the rest of the hall, setting up more bedrooms and smelting the hematite that has been dug out in the first year. There is only one lever in existence, linking to the sole bridge in the main access tunnel. My expedition leader, now nicknamed Coreyrn has retired and freed up the position for the next leader.

Here the save:
https://www.mediafire.com/?bu94c84pijbc2lj

Who wants to join in Vabokotad's way to glory or bloody demise?

The succession will go in posting order, so whoever comes first will be my direct successor. One week real time for 1 year in game time, if no save is posted after a week the person will be skipped.
The DF Version is 40.02, I used the Phoebus Tileset, but you can use whatever one you want.
Let's see where my first succession fortress will go.

maxcat61

• Bay Watcher
  • SuperMinion
    • View Profile

I will take up the challenge :). This will be my first succesion fort, and my 5th actual fort, so it should end terriblly Wonderfully.

Edit 1: I tried opening the save, but while I put the folder in my save file, it does not register when I open DF. Is this a problem with my computer, or with the save?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 05:46:45 pm by maxcat61 »
You can't make an omelette without melting a few dwarves...
The purple overseer hat weights heavily on one's head. Some would argue that the leadership of Doomforest is uneasy to bear for too long. Others would simply suggest that we don't craft the next overseer hat out of rutile.

Coreyrn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It only works for me in DF 40.02, I had the same problem while I tried to transfer it to 40.03. Which version did you try to use?

maxcat61

• Bay Watcher
  • SuperMinion
    • View Profile

40.03. Should I go back to 40.02, or should we just make a new fort?
The purple overseer hat weights heavily on one's head. Some would argue that the leadership of Doomforest is uneasy to bear for too long. Others would simply suggest that we don't craft the next overseer hat out of rutile.

Coreyrn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I want to stick to the save, so 40.02 it is.

maxcat61

• Bay Watcher
  • SuperMinion
    • View Profile

Success! I am starting it now.

maxcat61

• Bay Watcher
  • SuperMinion
    • View Profile

In an old musty tomb, surrounded my skeletons, there is a masterfully crafted elf-skin book. It’s title is “Overlord Accounts”.

Ahhh, after such a long journey, it’s good to see more of my kind again. But I am getting ahead of myself. I am Max, A proud Dwarf, and the new overlord supervisor of Vabokotad. The quarters here are great, most forts that I have seen have dwarves in 1x4 tubes, and we even have cabinets and chests. I personally believe such luxuries are to be done after a proper industry and military is set up, in order to avoid unnecessary complications.

In the future, we may want to seal the merchants away from the rest of the fort, for their own safety, in case some hippies elves arrive. As such, I have put a bridge between the trade depot and the stairway.

I deciced to look at the stocks, to see how much food we had. I was not impressed. We had some meals, but very few meat/fish/plants.

We are almost out to food! I also decided that larger farms were needed, in order to produce excess amounts of said food. Plump Helms for Everyone!

The book trails off here. It looks like some kind of insect has eaten through the pages.

An: I stopped here because I realized that the +- controls were not working. 40.02 seems a bit buggy.
Also, what site do you use for your images?
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 06:32:14 pm by maxcat61 »

maxcat61

• Bay Watcher
  • SuperMinion
    • View Profile

They +- is still not working. I cannot really continue with something as important as that bugged. I think that this is the end.

Coreyrn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I just tested the save on 2 different PCs, +/- works on both. Please upload the current save so that I can test it with that version. If it does not work for me on that, new fort on 40.04. Otherwise the problem lies within your PC.