Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do I leave the place I started in?  (Read 1016 times)

Chandrak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How do I leave the place I started in?
« on: July 07, 2014, 10:00:48 pm »

So, its been ages and ages since I played adventure mode, and a really long time since I've played DF without a texture pack, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to leave where I started. I spawned into some sort of fort, which I *think* is underground, and apparently human, because all the cabinets have large items in them. I've met only one person, A Macedwarf who immediately agreed to join up with me if I'd kill stuff with him. But the place doesnt appear to have any exits at all. There seem to be only two floors - one floor has tons of workshops, the other has lots of living space. But I think I've checked every door, and the stairs are only single stairs (that is, not Up/Down stairs, just one direction).

Am I missing some command I can use to leave or something?

Edit: Scratch that, found a human maceman hiding in the corner of a bedroom, so its not totally uninhabited aside for the guy in the room i spawned in.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 10:03:45 pm by Chandrak »

palu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How do I leave the place I started in?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 10:18:37 pm »

"T"
Hmph, palu showing off that reading-the-instructions superpower.
The internet encourages thoughtful, intelligent discussion and if you disagree I hate you.

Chandrak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 10:26:32 pm »

(Reposted from the other thread rather than hijack it.)

I know I can press T to fast travel, but have no idea how to use it. I *think* the reason for that is that i might actually be trapped somehow. Its been ages, but I *think& the asterisk up top is supposed to let you know which ways you can move, and I just cant move at all, right? Or is that wrong?

This is what my fast travel screen looks like. Using the movement keys (either wasd or 4862) does nothing.

Trickman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 08:09:17 pm »

I had this exact same issue. Started in a 2-level "fort?", one floor has a ton of workshops and the other has a lot of small rooms with cabinets and sometimes beds. I didn't find a single NPC, though.

Are fortresses being generated without an entrance? Could this be a bug?

Edit: Oh, and fast travel doesn't work, by the way.
This is a plain text forum signature. All typedwarfship is of the finest quality. It menaces with sentences of plain text.

RealFear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 10:30:35 pm »

I had this exact same issue. Started in a 2-level "fort?", one floor has a ton of workshops and the other has a lot of small rooms with cabinets and sometimes beds. I didn't find a single NPC, though.

Are fortresses being generated without an entrance? Could this be a bug?

Edit: Oh, and fast travel doesn't work, by the way.

Where did you get that info?
Shift-> seems to have been change to do a weird zoom in thing in fast travel that seems pointless and only works in very specific locations
d is now how you get out of fast travel.

I'm assuming thats the problem you were having.
It's a reverse hostage situation, if you kill the snatchers they'll fill your fort with babies.