Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Colossus  (Read 1309 times)

Nesoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Colossus
« on: November 19, 2007, 09:54:00 pm »

Well... I finally found out for myself how strong a colossus is... and how insanely fast they regenerate! Turns out my entire fortress of dwarves (I think 53 at the time, possibly more) in an emergency draft wasn't enough to take him out, though only a handful managed the Titan that attacked a few months earlier no problem.
000508 □ [dwarf mode][flows] flooding over a full pond will kill the fish inside

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
Re: Colossus
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2007, 02:32:00 am »

Unless you gave them weapons I don't see how you thought they would do anything slapping a behemoth made of metal.

sphr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2007, 09:36:00 am »

I encountered one before... bronze or brass or whatever collosus.  My dwarves were trained.  More than 30 out of the 70+ had a military skill (non recruit).  I also have tons of armor and weapons (crossbow esp).  They all died.  Mr collosus?? well, he hurt his third finger.... (I checked his wounds... turned out only his finger is "hurt"..)

Fenek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2007, 09:43:00 am »

Well, then my colossus was big pussy - I've drafted all of my 60 dwarves, and he killed only 8 of them, before they managed to strange him to death.

Kyselina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2007, 10:22:00 am »

They don't breath...
Tun Athelbuket, farmer cancels sleep: Caged.

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2007, 03:03:00 pm »

I lost a mere 2½ war dogs when a colossus waltzed in via the topside stairs, ignoring the floor-hatch entirely. Maybe it's because he was in a fairly small area, and that it was near both the meeting hall and barracks so most of my military came rushing in to take him out.

(½ war dog because it is badly wounded and constantly passing out)

[ November 20, 2007: Message edited by: Align ]

My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

sphr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2007, 04:35:00 pm »

could be.  mine was running sofast ard that my guys couldn't gang up.  crossbowmen were either missing a lot or not causing dmg.  could be too much bone bolts.

Nesoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2007, 08:28:00 pm »

They actually didn't do too bad; they got several of his limbs to yellow status. Unfortunately, they didn't all attack at once, or they might have been able to take him out. As it was, he recovered from those yellow wounds in a minute or two and kept on rampaging.

Unfortunately, guess what showed up the very next month? A dragon. ~10 immigrants vs. a dragon didn't work out so well. I had something of an unintended hermit challenge going when 1 dwarf somehow managed to not be in the dragon's path and survived:

On the other hand, he was very happy to be elected mayor... by himself:

He also has a great personality for being the lone survivor: never discouraged and can handle stress? Sweet! Unfortunately, he ended up dying by running through a wildfire that I didn't pay much attention to that had spread right next to the main entrance.

[Edit: If I go there in adventure mode now, will both the colossus and dragon still be there?]

[ November 20, 2007: Message edited by: Nesoo ]

000508 □ [dwarf mode][flows] flooding over a full pond will kill the fish inside

Ancient Whale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2007, 09:58:00 am »

I've gotten two megabeasts so far. Both ran into a goblin siege. The first, a hydra, was mobbed by a squad of goblins and killed quickly with only one casualty on the goblin's side.

The second was a bronze colossus, which did much better. It handily dispatched two squads, one of which contained a goblin Elite Crossbowman, but lost it's left hand in the process. After this battle, it charged towards my entrance, wielding a (narrow Steel chainmail). I turned my soldiers to active duty and stationed them by the entrance. At the end I had lost five wardogs and my Marksdwarf(which had earned an additional name in the last siege, where he shot the goblins from atop a bridge without being shot back at) had his leg mangled in two places.

cdawg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2007, 07:42:00 pm »

man you guys need to invest in more traps.  i got a colossus once, he ran into about 5 stone fall traps in a row and that was the end of that

Riemann

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2007, 07:52:00 pm »

I have a zoo with a Hydra and a Titan.

Slumb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2007, 08:15:00 pm »

You can kill a bronze colossus with wrestlers.  Either loads of low skilled ones all attacking at once or a few legendary ones.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2007, 08:19:00 pm »

I have a zoo with a Hydra, Colossus and a Goblin thief.

We plan to give the Goblin some friends next time the Goblins show up to siege, with the field of 30+ cage traps I set up.

Then once the main Castle is built we build the Battle Spire, were we will see who is truly stronger when I use it as a arena.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2007, 08:50:00 pm »

I managed to capture one in a pine cage with no losses...

Until a couple years later when someone decided to move his cage...

I have no idea how many dwarves died that day.

Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.