Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: v0.34 Minner's won't dig / path through a collapsed area  (Read 447 times)

Avin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
v0.34 Minner's won't dig / path through a collapsed area
« on: July 08, 2014, 03:05:54 pm »

So, I've been working on a project that required that I cave in an area. Now as I'm trying to dig out some of the remains of what I dropped and I'm finding that there are places that dwarfs refuse to dig. I suspect that some of this may just be that dwarfs refuse to path through any area around where I've flagged for digging.

It was fairly spectacular, a large portion of it ended up in the magma sea sending lava everywhere but mostly sections of the underground caves were collapsed so that I could more easily work in the area. Interestingly enough I have some floating ramps with nothing under them and a number of flaming web floating in the air as well. There have been areas that continue to flag as warm stone and cancel digging. All of this though I'd assumed was likely due to the size of the area collapsed and the following magma spray.

I've never assigned any burrows or in any way restricted movement of dwarfs through out the fort. Some of the areas where they're refusing to path were areas previously dug out that were near but not in the actual cave in. Is there anyway to ascertain what is causing dwarfs to avoid these areas, and is there any way to fix it?

arbarbonif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: v0.34 Minner's won't dig / path through a collapsed area
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 04:44:54 pm »

Do you have temperature turned off?  I know there are problems with dwarves not pathing on obsidian and such in those cases.  If magma was splashed around, maybe that got messed up?

Avin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 05:57:48 pm »

Correct me if I'm wrong please, the temp settings would be in the d_init.txt file?
I have the following listed, [TEMPERATURE:NO]

I can only assume that what ever the problem is directly to what ever happened when the cave in was resolved. All of these areas are places that either previously didn't have a floor or could be dug through. Any idea if this is something that could be corrected with dfhack? Perhaps there's some way to get the pathing recalculated?

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 04:20:01 am »

When temperature calculations are disabled, any tile that contains magma gets set to "very hot" and never cleared. Your dwarves will refuse to enter these tiles. To "fix" the problem, enable temperature and allow the tiles to return to normal (a few in-game days should suffice). You can then save, re-disable temperature calculations, and continue your project.

Avin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 12:36:52 pm »

Loci, you're my hero!

Changing the temp setting did the trick!
A caution to anyone else who does this though, make sure you evacuate any area that you suspect may have this issue. When changing the temp a number of locations on the map instantly burst into flame.