Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Calender Updates  (Read 878 times)

Gnomeknows

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Calender Updates
« on: July 07, 2014, 11:18:51 pm »

No clue where to post, since I'm not sure this is a bug yet,  but:

I started a fortress, it updated from the 1st of granite to two weeks ahead, as Toady said it would.  Now it said "updating world".  Then I abandoned the fortress, and started an adventure game in the same world.  It started updating from the 1st of granite to two weeks ahead.  I'm confused, I thought abandoned fortresses are just "retired" now.

But from what I see, it's erasing the world update all together.  That, or you have to save the fortress to also save the world update?
In fact, we should really say, that beards are born with babies.  Since beards are sentient it is quite possible they style themselves or even that they grow styled.
I'm totally convinced dwarven babies are born with beards. How those get braided, combed or shaved before birth is one of the arcane dwarven mysteries.

Cobbler89

• Bay Watcher
  • Cobbler cancels celebrate Caesar: mending soles
    • View Profile
Re: Calender Updates
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 11:47:46 pm »

To my knowledge, "abandoning" and "retiring" are both in the new version as distinct things, "abandoning" being what it always has been and "retiring" being to leave the fort in AI controll but still a real, active fort and not a ruin.

I can't speak to calendar oddities, on the other hand.
Quote from: Mr S
You've struck embedded links. Praise the data miners!
Quote from: Strong Bad
The magma is seeping under the door.

Quote from: offspring
Quote from: Cobbler89
I have an idea. Let's play a game where you win by being as quiet as possible.
I get it, it's one of those games where losing is fun!
I spend most of your dimension's time outside of your dimension. I can't guarantee followup or followthrough on any comments, ideas, or plans.

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 12:23:07 am »

Could it be this new feature?
   (*) The game advances two weeks before each play -- the calendar there still moves slowly when there's a lot of action, as there is in larger worlds, but there are quite a few things I can do soon to speed that up.  Due to the speed of the calendar, new forts in particular also get just two weeks.  This'll probably cause some shenanigans with the caravan (or you'll just have to wait a year in an autumn fort for your first one) until we sort it out.
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 01:07:26 pm »

Yeah. Calendar went like this
1st -> start fortress and advance two weeks -> retire/abandon fortress -> start new adventurer game and advance two weeks
Which matches what Toady said.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

King of Blades

• Bay Watcher
  • What wonders will I see this day?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2014, 07:57:30 pm »

His point is not that it's updating again, it's that it's doing the same update over the same period of time it did originally.

1: Started Fortress, game went from 1st Granite to 15th Granite.

2: Ditched fort, started adventure mode.

Expected behavior: Game advances from 15th Granite to 30th Granite.

Actual Behavior: Game redoes the advance from 1st Granite to 15th Granite.

My guess is that abandoning is different from retiring, like the earlier poster said.

Legorara

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2014, 12:49:45 pm »

Forgive me if I'm wrong here, but aren't there building requirements or something else you have to meet before "abandon fortress" becomes "retire fortress?"   I swear I read that somewhere in a FotF reply or something.

Meh I couldn't find anything about requirements by searching.  It doesn't really address OP's problem anyway.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 01:00:23 pm by Legorara »