Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Fortress Report: Dirty Pigs, Dirty Politics  (Read 4402 times)

snjwffl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fortress Report: Dirty Pigs, Dirty Politics
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2014, 03:12:18 pm »

Four 5x5 stone stockpiles, all with 3 wheelbarrows. With a minecart quantum stockpile for stone in the middle, that takes from all 4. You will thank me later  :P
If everything goes directly into a minecart quantum stockpile, then your three-wheelbarrow-feeders only need to be six tiles (say 2x3): three tiles to accommodate the wheelbarrows, and the other three to generate hauling jobs.  I use seven 1x4 feeders with two wheelbarrows each, so that I can efficiently micromanage hauling if needed (e.g. "turn off" some feeders to reduce the number of stone hauling jobs, or guarantee a steady supply of a certain stone by specializing a few feeders to only accept it).

zazq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2014, 09:16:26 pm »

Wait, i've never gotten this work correctly.  Can you give me a detailed description of this wheelbarrow and minecart trick?

So you make 4-7 small stone stockpiles, each with a few wheelbarrows.  These will hopefully generate no more hauling jobs than you have wheelbarrows for.  Is there a trick to make sure they only generate 3 at a time and that they always use the 3 wheelbarrows? 

From there you put a minecart super close to the stockpiles and make it take from the stockpiles.  Dwarves will either use the wheelbarrows to move stone there or by hand, which is no big deal because its so close.  But then what?

You make the minecart pile everything up in a square somewhere else, but what's to keep the dwarves from then filling the stockpiles from that stone pile the minecart just made? 

snjwffl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2014, 10:54:35 pm »

Wait, i've never gotten this work correctly.  Can you give me a detailed description of this wheelbarrow and minecart trick?
The key points to know for getting things to work are:
  • Hauling jobs are not generated by items, but by the stockpiles (specifically, empty stockpile tiles)
  • When a free space is generating a new job, it never looks at items already in stockpiles that accept them (unless you have some liking set-up)
  • Individual wheelbarrows get assigned (automatically) to individual stockpiles.  In other words, wheelbarrows are not shared globally; you need as many wheelbarrows as you've designated all your stockpiles to have collectively (at least, if you want reliability)
  • If a stone stockpile has wheelbarrows allocated to it, hauling-job-generation is limited to the number of (free) wheelbarrows from that stockpile

My setup is as follows (though this has only three 1x4 feeder piles for space reasons):
Code: [Select]
     = = = = || ||
     = = = = || || M =
     = = = = || ||
  • The 3x4 array of "=" on the left is actually three rows of 1x4 stockpiles ("====").  They are each assigned two wheelbarrows, and take from anywhere (or wherever your stone comes from).  These are the (primary) feeders.
  • The "||" designate a 3x2 stockpile.  It has no wheelbarrows, and takes only from the 1x4 feeders.  (This exists because I was having issues with the wheelbarrows themselves being loaded into the minecart; try the setup without this 3x2 pile to see what I mean).
  • "M" denotes the minecart, sitting on a track stop which dumps east (i.e. to the right).  This is the route's only stop, and takes from the 3x2 pile.
  • The solitary "=" is a 1x1 (duh) stockpile.  It has no wheelbarrows, and accepts from nowhere; it just gets stuff dumped into it, never to leave (well, until it's used).

Hope this helps :)

zazq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2014, 11:48:48 am »

so you are telling me that things piled up hundreds deep in a square are all in the stockpile designated for that square?  That there is no difference between 'dwarf put it in the stockpile' and 'it happens to be in a square designated as stockpile'?  I could have sworn that my food i dumped to one square was rotting even though it was a food stockpile, and i assumed it was because it wasn't 'really' in the stockpile.  If they really work this way, minecarts could reduce the size of stockpiles all over! it could be quite significant.  The next trick would be to figure out how to minecart pile things under a bridge so they can be atom smashed.  You can't put stockpiles under bridges. 

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2014, 12:32:30 pm »

I could have sworn that my food i dumped to one square was rotting even though it was a food stockpile, and i assumed it was because it wasn't 'really' in the stockpile.

No, there must have been some other cause.

If they really work this way, minecarts could reduce the size of stockpiles all over! it could be quite significant.

This has been in play since 0.34.08: The Minecart Stop Quantum Stockpile.

The next trick would be to figure out how to minecart pile things under a bridge so they can be atom smashed.  You can't put stockpiles under bridges.

If the Track Stop is set to dump into a hole (channel), then the items will end up on the level below.  If there is no physical access to that spot, then you don't need to make a stockpile to prevent dwarves from taking the items back out of the hole (but I'm not sure how climbing affects this now).

So, Track Stop dumps into a channel, items fall into a 1x2 oubliette which has a bridge, linked to a lever.  As long as the dwarves can't climb down into the oubliette, all is well.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

snjwffl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2014, 08:30:38 pm »

So, Track Stop dumps into a channel, items fall into a 1x2 oubliette which has a bridge, linked to a lever.  As long as the dwarves can't climb down into the oubliette, all is well.
That's an awfully big assumption ;D
Pages: 1 [2]