Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: If you could see anything in DF, what would it be?  (Read 4502 times)

Cobbler89

• Bay Watcher
  • Cobbler cancels celebrate Caesar: mending soles
    • View Profile
Re: If you could see anything in DF, what would it be?
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2014, 07:27:37 pm »

And one other thing I keep forgetting:
Space Dwarves. In Space. Doing Space Dwarf Things. In Space. Like mining space rocks. In space. And fighting space monsters. In Space. And having space tantrums. In Space. And Digging Too Deep. In Space. And killing Space Elves. In Space. Space Elves? Preposterous, it would never work. Pretend that last bit never happened. In Space.
You forgot Space Cats. In Space. Causing Space Catsplosion. In Space.

After all, our resident Mr. Space Cat is always reminding us that "Space is full of Space Cats." In Space.
Quote from: Mr S
You've struck embedded links. Praise the data miners!
Quote from: Strong Bad
The magma is seeping under the door.

Quote from: offspring
Quote from: Cobbler89
I have an idea. Let's play a game where you win by being as quiet as possible.
I get it, it's one of those games where losing is fun!
I spend most of your dimension's time outside of your dimension. I can't guarantee followup or followthrough on any comments, ideas, or plans.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2014, 10:26:45 pm »

More factions and magic. Much more. I want to join, aid, influence, and maybe even lead factions (in both modes mind); factions diverse enough to include everything from "Who should ascend the throne?" to religious ones. And I want so much more magic, it annoys me to kingdom come that all we have at the moment is necromancy (and whatever the modders come up with, but I don't use mods too often).
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • ミク ミク にしてあげる
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2014, 11:55:49 pm »

Indeed DF needs more magic, but please not cheesy magic of throwing fireballs.
We already have enough games of that.

DF is unique and overly complicated, I want a complicated magic system that can (and totally will) backfire melting your face.

Just as an example, The Name of the Wind has a quite complex magic system which involves creating links between objects to transfer energy and transform it. May not exactly that system, but please no "throw fireball spell".

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2014, 05:42:27 am »

On the subject of magic, I want a system where magic is not freely available even if one has the skills necessary for it.
Basically, mana is kind of literally "in the air", and repetitive use of magic (not sure how magic itself would exactly work) would eventually make the spells used in that area weaker until they can't be cast at all.

Some areas could be naturally more deprived of mana, and there could even be cycles when there is no magic at all in a given world, Shadowrun-style.
It would also justify the existence of "mana potions" being mana condensed into drinkable form or some such.

That's just one man's vision, and the magic system is still far away...But it's never too early to conceptualize and discuss how it should be implemented should we get to that part.

Blastbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2014, 12:02:59 am »

I'd like to see weather phenomena, like tornadoes, hurricanes, and generic freakishly high-speed winds, with obvious collateral damage to surface structures. Being a primarily underground-dwelling race, dwarves would have the luxury of sitting back and watching the carnage through windows-behind-fortications in relative luxury.

Knowing Dwarf Fortress, this would lead to the otherwise very contrived scenario of wildlife getting sucked up into tornadoes and dropped off at random. This does actually happen from time to time, but it's usually just the odd frozen turtle falling from the sky and not a full-blown sharknado. Of course, considering the fauna of even a vanilla DF world, a sharknado is nothing compared to an undead-giant-sperm-whale-nado.

I probably will get to see this at some point, as opposed to my pipe dream of Space Dwarf Fortress.
I don't know how it all works, I just throw molten science at the wall and see what ignites.

Molly Renata

• Bay Watcher
  • Just an obnoxious fangirl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2014, 03:56:49 am »

Oh lord, weather features would be the best and worst thing ever. Imagine, if you will, a hurricane sweeping onshore to strike a coastal fortress... and due to abnormally severe rain, the lower sections of the fortress slowly start to flood...
Molly Renata, also known as gyppygirl2021.
Fangirl. Beware random references to old and obscure games.
I'm a dumb hipster who plays older Dorf Fort versions. Mostly DF2010 and 40d. I also make and play a lot of silly mods, and find my own ways to have Fun.

Lyeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Guess who isn't back
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2014, 04:02:55 am »

Oh lord, weather features would be the best and worst thing ever. Imagine, if you will, a hurricane sweeping onshore to strike a coastal fortress... and due to abnormally severe rain, the lower sections of the fortress slowly start to flood...
My Gods.
I could finally complete my dream of a non-magma purging system.
Because rivers aren't Dwarven enough.
Now, to design a giant bucket in case this ever happens...
Take a closer look at this text!

Xazo-Tak

• Bay Watcher
  • *Camping forever*
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 07, 2014, 04:03:34 am »

Upper sections, elf scum.
How to have recursive Fun:
Have Fun
Reclaim fort
Destroy your main graveyard with a cave-in

Molly Renata

• Bay Watcher
  • Just an obnoxious fangirl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 07, 2014, 04:04:55 am »

Upper sections, elf scum.

Underground constructs are not immune to the effects of hurricane flooding. :P
Molly Renata, also known as gyppygirl2021.
Fangirl. Beware random references to old and obscure games.
I'm a dumb hipster who plays older Dorf Fort versions. Mostly DF2010 and 40d. I also make and play a lot of silly mods, and find my own ways to have Fun.

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 07, 2014, 05:56:06 am »

The thing I really look forward to, which I suspect will arrive at some point, is a really strong AI for military, with squads using various tactics to try and defeat each other, and maybe generals directing the action from above. Squads could have profiles like 'skirmish', 'defensive' which would dictate the tactics they used.

Seeing the camouflage-clad skirmishers engaging the goblin invaders as they camped on the outskirts of the map, luring them into an ambush where a squad of marksdwarves in perfect rank formation unleash timed volleys that slaughter them would be awesome.
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

RenoFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 07, 2014, 01:44:56 pm »

What I want to see in every game: NPC:s reacting and getting annoyed. I want to walk indoors with muddy shoes, stroll around in improper clothes, pay for adamantine gear with copper coins, and eventually have an NPC annoyed enough to call me out for it and ask if I'm doing it on purpose. I want them to complain to their friends that the universally loved hero of the land is a gigantic tosser, and have no one believe them because all the examples they could give seem insignificant.

Likewise, I want to start sneaking into a house of a random NPC during nights and leaving gold in random chests and cabinets just to see what they'll do. Will they try to stay awake and see who's doing it, or will they mark it up as some kind of mysterious entity and try not to break the perfect system.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2014, 06:29:29 am »

Additional granularity in workshops, so that you could enable/disable types of jobs.

Example: Jewelry shops have two possible job types, Cut and Encrust.

It would be nice to be able to disable Cutting at a shop to use specifically for Encrusting, and vice versa.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Detharon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 08, 2014, 11:38:00 am »

A dwarven economy!

Currently, all items have a constant value, no matter how prevalent they are. Which means that, basically, you can keep selling thousands of useless rock flutes to a trader and he will happily pay you the same price every time. It would not happen if the game had an economy based on supply and demand, because such flood of rock flutes would soon make them worthless.

Were you lucky enough to generate a world full of gold veins? Then gold should be relatively cheap, and since it's that prevalent, it shouldn't make dwarves as happy as if it was incredibly rare. Experiencing a long and bloody war? Armors and weapons should be more expensive. And so on, and so on.
Pages: 1 2 [3]