Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Different tiles for male and female dwarf professions?  (Read 761 times)

Darchitect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Different tiles for male and female dwarf professions?
« on: July 04, 2014, 07:26:57 pm »

I'm working on a tileset and I'd like to have male and female versions of each profession.

I can't tell if it's even possible to do that, though. I did find a thread from 4 years ago asking the question and being told it wasn't possible. So has that changed? Is there a way to use CASTE to modify a profession?

palu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Different tiles for male and female dwarf professions?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2014, 08:23:20 pm »

No. You can set tiles, but not graphics.
Hmph, palu showing off that reading-the-instructions superpower.
The internet encourages thoughtful, intelligent discussion and if you disagree I hate you.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
Re: Different tiles for male and female dwarf professions?
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 10:48:39 am »

There is a work-around, but it only applies a caste-specific color.  You make the graphics (at least partially) gray-scale and let it mix with the creature's tile color.

For this to work, you need to add [CASTE_COLOR:1:0:0] to the male and [CASTE_COLOR:5:0:1] to the female (or pick whatever colors you prefer).  The next step is to make sure that professions don't override these colors, but since I've only done this for animals I haven't had to worry about professions so I'm not sure how.  Finally, in your graphics textfile, use ADD_COLOR instead of AS_IS to have the tile color blended with your graphic.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map