Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf preference.  (Read 990 times)

Prospekt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarf preference.
« on: July 09, 2014, 01:49:19 am »

Engrave gold flour 5  level quality add to room 10(modif)* 30(material) *5(quality) = 1500$.
What changes if dwarf have preference to gold?
How many will increase?

sal880612m

• Bay Watcher
  • [SANITY:OPTIONAL]
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf preference.
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2014, 01:53:57 am »

My understanding of room value is somewhat shaky but my thought is that dwarf preferences have no effect on room value. What I think it does effect is how likely or how strong the happy thought the dwarf gets from having such a room.
"I was chopping off little bits of 'im till he talked, startin' at the toes."
"You probably should have stopped sometime before his eyes."

Prospekt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 02:28:33 am »

Let so.
What game mechanics of this thing?
What better:
1) 1 table 5 level quality (preference material)
or
2) 3 table 1 level quality (preference material)
?
What influences?
1) quantity of subjects
2) quality of subjects or
3) total value of subjects?

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 02:59:20 am »

Here is old study made by me about room values. It's incomplete but I have plans to continue/restart it with the new version...

Room Values - !!SCIENCE!!

EDIT:

After a quick check from the notes I don't think that preferences have anything to do with room value. After all, I never noticed the room quality to change with different dwarves, the checkpoints were completely static.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 03:04:26 am by Kipi »

Quote from: zanchito
You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

Prospekt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 05:02:26 am »

It means that, have no any reason to construct preference material object at dwarf room?

In you research test Support. How depends qualitis of Support to value. Quality is complex: design + construct(build).
Support better that other objects:
1) have quality (flour and wall have not quality)
2) make "admin building lately" (flour, wall and engrave can not make it)
3) quickly construct and remove with save material. Training designer and other. Can be reconstruct in other place or other quality. (like wall or flour, not engrave)
4) does not block way (statue blocks way)

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2014, 05:27:26 am »

If those are objects like furniture, then it does pay to use preferred material since that would boost thoughts the dwarf would get by admiring the said objects. But as for the raw room value number, preferences doesn't have any input to that.

As for your other questions, I haven't researched the behavior of supports yet, only some of the basic furniture like table and throne. For those objects the value increased by the total value of the object listed in the description.

You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

Prospekt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2014, 05:51:17 am »

For those objects the value increased by the total value of the object listed in the description.
it seems, support to.

It has not reason construct good furniture at room. In room furniture make good thoughts only to owner. But construct it at meeting zone or statue garden, you give good thoughts to all. Am I right?

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2014, 06:01:56 am »

For those objects the value increased by the total value of the object listed in the description.
it seems, support to.
That may very well be, though I still have to prove it with calculations. After all, there may be some interesting "quirks". Good example is of such is engraving:

Quote from: The research
So, how does the exception in MV works? There are few things that must happen for the exception to take place:
  • The engraved tile must be wall.
  • There must be more than one material used in tiles.
  • The material of the engraved tile must be the least common in the room. If there are more tiles of all the other materials than the one engraved (in example, A>B and the material is B) then the MV of most common material is used. So, if the room has materials A, B and C and the engraving is done to material C, we get the following rules:

If A>B>C then MV of A is used. If A>C>B then MV of C is used. If A>B=C then MV of C is used. If A=B=C then again MV of C is used.

Since this error doesn't occur with floors and the wrong MV is used only in the EV=10*QM*MV part, I'm suspecting this to be a bug. Especially since the case when this happens is very limited, only one material of all materials in the room behaves this way and only if it has less number of tiles than any other material.

Basically, it's good idea to assume that there may be exceptions to basic rules.

It has not reason construct good furniture at room. In room furniture make good thoughts only to owner. But construct it at meeting zone or statue garden, you give good thoughts to all. Am I right?

True, though good furniture helps to reach high quality room with smaller room size. The original reason for the whole research was to investigate the mechanisms of room value to make it easier to plan the rooms when space is limited. A very valuable table used in the room may reduce the required size of the room considerably if you have target quality for the room.