Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mystery Skeletons in Big River!  (Read 1150 times)

Canalan

• Bay Watcher
  • A Chainsaw! Find some meat!
    • View Profile
Mystery Skeletons in Big River!
« on: July 03, 2014, 01:28:04 pm »

So.  I embarked on a fantastic map, one with a massive river fed by a 30 z-level waterfall.  FPS is kinda bad, yeah, I'll never do a 5x5 embark again.  Anyways, here's a picture of an interesting thing:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

What you can't see is that it's flashing.  Anyways, this is the second human skeleton with a long name I found in my river (The first one was found nearby, but I used dfhack to simulate the river cleaning itself).  What the hell is going on here?  I never get announcements about someone with that name, and since that's near the map edge on the upstream side, I never look at it but rarely.  All I can think of is a were-creature, but... since I never get any announcements...

As a side note, the siege is a necromancer attack, always fun.  One of them even has a book with him!

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • ミク ミク にしてあげる
    • View Profile
Re: Mystery Skeletons in Big River!
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2014, 01:37:46 pm »

Were creature came in stealth, transformed into human and drowned. No announcements.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2014, 02:31:27 pm »

You can always save, abandon, and check Legends mode... three names, I guarantee you there's some history there  :)
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2014, 06:28:30 pm »

I'm pretty sure your framerate issue is the waterfall, not the 5x5.  I see very little performance difference between a 4x4, 5x5 and 6x6 (what i've been using lately).  Calculating water flow, however, is a known performance issue with DF, especially if its a large river going over a 30+ z level fall. ;)
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2014, 02:34:04 am »

I'm pretty sure your framerate issue is the waterfall, not the 5x5.  I see very little performance difference between a 4x4, 5x5 and 6x6 (what i've been using lately).  Calculating water flow, however, is a known performance issue with DF, especially if its a large river going over a 30+ z level fall. ;)

It's probably a combination of the two issues, but given that it sounds like this is a young fort, the waterfall is probably the main cause. Bigger embarks areas definitely do slow frame rate, but they tend to do it only later in the game when you have a lot of creatures trying to path over the increased area. It's multiplicative with the number of dwarves you have where as flowing water bogs down the CPU regardless of population.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 02:37:03 am by Melting Sky »

Swonnrr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2014, 10:05:33 am »

In fact there is more parameters than that.

I usually have no difference between a 3x3 and a 5x5 on rocky wastelands, at least at the beginning, when the map is desert and there is few pathing going on.
But on my old PC, while a 4x4 wasteland with a couple of artificial 2-tiles wide waterfalls was running 60fps with 50 dwarves and the doors closed, a 3x3 in heavily forested hills was bringing my CPU and FPS on their knees before i could even deconstruct the wagon.

On topic: Definitely a werepeasant that transformed back before you could see it.
Second possibily is a merchant that tried to cross for some reasons, but i guess you would have noticed that.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 10:07:53 am by Swonnrr »