Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How many Beds in one Bedroom  (Read 1291 times)

Snaaty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How many Beds in one Bedroom
« on: July 03, 2014, 05:21:34 am »

Hello Forum,

I really like to give all of my dwarves a decent 2x3 Bedroom, with a bed, a cabinet and a coffer/chest.
Now, when assigning a bedroom couples get automatically assigned together. I used to simply build two beds, so both of them could have their own bed. Now, I am asking, what is the most reasonable thing to do:

1. Build just one bed for two dwarves, they will share.

2. Build two beds in the single bedroom, if both sleep at the same time, they each get their bed.

3. Make "two" bedrooms, by assigning one bed to the one dwarf and the other one to the other.

Chaia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How many Beds in one Bedroom
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2014, 05:35:17 am »

Couples with share their beds, even their siblings will sleep until they get old enough (or their parents get killed), I think.
If you have the resources and like to role-play, build two or more beds in the bedroom. But I can't say for sure if they will use both, even if they sleep at the same time. Else only one bed will be fine for the whole family.

Astrid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a text.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2014, 05:36:30 am »

I see no real reason to force a couple to seperate bedrooms if thats even possible.

Practically spoken 1 bed is fine for a couple. I've seen an entire family of couple and childs sleep
in a single bed.

Snaaty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2014, 05:55:51 am »

Hm, Thank you, I was already guessing that, but wanted confirmation.

I see no real reason to force a couple to seperate bedrooms if thats even possible.

That is not what I meant. I just place two beds in the same room and then assign one bed to the dwarf-man and the other one to the dwarf-woman. In the bedroom-screen there are now "two" bedrooms covering the same area, if I query one bed dwarf 1 will be on top of the assigned list, and if I look at the other bed dwarf 2 will be at the top of the list.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2014, 06:16:43 am »

I just place two beds in the same room and then assign one bed to the dwarf-man and the other one to the dwarf-woman. In the bedroom-screen there are now "two" bedrooms covering the same area, if I query one bed dwarf 1 will be on top of the assigned list, and if I look at the other bed dwarf 2 will be at the top of the list.
It will probably work, but those bedrooms will suffer a major penalty to their value. Of course, this might be a good thing if you've got nobles with room pretension.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Snaaty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2014, 07:07:29 am »

It will probably work, but those bedrooms will suffer a major penalty to their value.

Hm, why do these rooms suffer a penalty? Shouldn't it be slightly more worth if there is a second masterfully crafted bed in their bedroom?

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2014, 07:13:08 am »

It will probably work, but those bedrooms will suffer a major penalty to their value.

Hm, why do these rooms suffer a penalty? Shouldn't it be slightly more worth if there is a second masterfully crafted bed in their bedroom?
Because you have now two rooms technically (after designating from two beds), so the value is halved between the two.
If you put additional beds in, but don't assign the additional beds, then it will raise value.
In that case however, dwarfs might not use the additional bed in the way you intended and rather try to sleep in the original bed at the same time.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 07:23:22 am by XXSockXX »

Astrid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a text.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2014, 07:15:49 am »

Well, its not a lot of work to simple try it out. Place two beds in a handful of couple rooms and look what happens.
2-3 differen couples because after all dwarfes have different behaviours.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2014, 11:00:36 am »

Because you have now two rooms technically (after designating from two beds), so the value is halved between the two.
[/quote]

I'm not sure if it still works this way, but it used to be quartered.  All shared rooms were 1/4 the value of the things inside.  So there were efficiencies of scale when you had four or more overlapping rooms, but you were wasting resources if only two or three overlapped.

Consider a shared dining room for all nobles.  You want to decorate it up to Legendary status, but this might be costly depending on how many masterwork platinum statues you happen to have laying about.  You could make four legendary rooms for four nobles, or you could make one 4x value (gets quartered down to 1x) legendary room shared between them all.   Now share that 4x legendary room between 8 nobles, and there is a cost benefit.

I usually make shared bedrooms with two beds for nobles who come with consorts, but put them next to each other so it looks like a king size bed or whatever.  I don't think there is a way to see the actual numeric quality of a room since the economy went away, so I cant be sure of the exact values at the end...

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2014, 01:40:14 pm »

But you don't have to assign room out of every bed, do you? And you can assign them to separate husbands and wives, I think, anyway.
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2014, 02:40:13 pm »

If you want to assign a bedroom to a married couple, you should not designate two separate rooms, even if you have 2 beds.  Just designate one large room that includes both beds.  (Or just use 1 bed.  They'll share it.)

When you assign a room to a married dwarf, the room is jointly owned by the couple.  Both dwarves' names will appear as owners when you query the room's designation furniture.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2014, 02:57:59 pm »

Depends on what you want. 

If you put two beds in one room and only assign one, then they will both sleep in the one bed.

If you want it to look like they are sleeping on different sides of the same double-size bed, then you have to make them overlapping rooms and assign both beds.  This causes lost value.