Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trying to find a CMD/DF-like word processor  (Read 1133 times)

DoctorPilchard

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Trying to find a CMD/DF-like word processor
« on: July 13, 2014, 12:22:17 am »

I have always liked the typeface, if it is even a typeface, used in windows command prompt and of course Dwarf Fortress. It just looks really cool to me.  So I would like to use a word-processor of the same grey text on black. If anyone knows of anything like that, I would greatly appreciate a reply :)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to find a CMD/DF-like word processor
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2014, 05:11:43 am »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Draxis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 12:14:35 pm »

GEdit is a solid basic text editor; it can easily be configured to have those colors, and is basically like an improved, multiplatform Notepad.

Alternately, EMACS, which is a full text editor; it has a major learning curve, but once you're used to it it is much faster and easier to use than other text editors.  Especially vim, which is modal, less powerful, and no easier to learn.  There are several built-in color schemes like that, and you can also modify it yourself if none of those are quite right.

(vim is also a viable choice and many prefer it; I just don't see why.)
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 04:26:37 pm by Draxis »

DoctorPilchard

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2014, 07:25:57 pm »

GEdit is a solid basic text editor; it can easily be configured to have those colors, and is basically like an improved, multiplatform Notepad.

Alternately, EMACS, which is a full text editor; it has a major learning curve, but once you're used to it it is much faster and easier to use than other text editors.  Especially vim, which is modal, less powerful, and no easier to learn.  There are several built-in color schemes like that, and you can also modify it yourself if none of those are quite right.

(vim is also a viable choice and many prefer it; I just don't see why.)
Vim.

Thanks for helping me out, I'll go and take a look at them all.

Cobbler89

• Bay Watcher
  • Cobbler cancels celebrate Caesar: mending soles
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2014, 11:19:30 pm »

Nano is another decent option for commandline/terminal text editting, I believe (don't have a link, sorry, google and its less creepy clones are your friends).

AND DON'T OPEN VI OR VIM WITHOUT A WAY TO LOOKUP ADVICE OUTSIDE OF IT. You can be virtually trapped in it because you can guess niether the command to quit nor the command to get help. This isn't to say it's a bad program or something -- clearly the vi fans out there would disagree, and I'll admit there are ways vim feels better somehow than Nano -- just that it does not, by default, show you any messages saying what you can do or how you can do it, up to and including the painfully, brain-dead obvious things like quitting or looking up those things it isn't showing you. There *is* a command to turn on the basic state display that should be on by default but isn't in any distro I've ever seen, and there *is* a command that opens an in-program help system of some sort -- you will want, at minimum, to know these going in, unless you can still access the internet to look them up while you're in.

end advice

Happy editting!
Quote from: Mr S
You've struck embedded links. Praise the data miners!
Quote from: Strong Bad
The magma is seeping under the door.

Quote from: offspring
Quote from: Cobbler89
I have an idea. Let's play a game where you win by being as quiet as possible.
I get it, it's one of those games where losing is fun!
I spend most of your dimension's time outside of your dimension. I can't guarantee followup or followthrough on any comments, ideas, or plans.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2014, 04:39:59 am »

Yeah vim is hard to learn and I suck at it.
Nano isn't bad for a quick and simple text editor and I'd use it more but I want to learn how 2 vim.

Saving is :w
Quitting is :q
Quitting without saving is :q!
Going into insert mode is just "i"
Use escape to exit insert mode and do the above commands.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.