Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Crashing on load [0.40.01]  (Read 1058 times)

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
Crashing on load [0.40.01]
« on: July 10, 2014, 01:08:29 pm »

About 20 minutes ago, I was playing the new version of DF. I thought it was going a bit slow, and then I realized that all the settings in init and d_init had been reset due to updating, so I went and changed g_fps, priority, turned on fps counter, et cetera. I didn't just copy/paste from my old init settings. I then started up the game again, loaded my fort, and as soon as it got to 'loading tracking information', it crashed. I tried restarting then game several times, but it would almost always crash at 'loading tracking information'. Once it stopped while 'loading fortress information'. I tried setting the settings back to defaults, but that only served to get it to crash while loading something other than tracking information, precisely what it was loading I forget. The errorlog file has four different errors in it: one is a pathing error due to an eagle running into a tree, the second is a blind cave ogre pathing error, the third is a miner's destination being wiped, and the fourth is "camp order missing parent -- army will camp forever" repeated over and over several dozen times.

So my questions are, is anyone else experiencing this, and does anyone know how to fix it? I'd like to try resetting the init and d_init settings back to default, so could someone copy/paste the contents of theirs? I could just re-download DF and get the defaults from there, but I'd rather not.

EDIT: generated a new world, this one significantly smaller, made a new fortress, saved and loaded, and it works fine. I have no idea what's going on here.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 01:25:41 pm by ShadowHammer »

Jaeke

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Crashing on load [0.40.01]
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 02:02:35 pm »

I am crashing on load as well, on loading 'interactions' and sometimes 'tracking information'. Loaded fine in previous years.
I also can't brew underground plants...

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014, 02:17:16 pm »

There is a known issue where autosaves (whether from AUTOSAVE or INITIAL_SAVE) will cause the game to crash after a short time (apparently, it runs its "cleanup" logic which deletes stuff which is still actually needed), and it's possible that doing a manual save afterwards (before unpausing) might cause it the world itself to become corrupted.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 02:20:13 pm by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Jacko13

• Bay Watcher
  • Please Urist wear your masterwork steel armour
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 04:10:28 pm »

I have this issue... DF running surprisingly well for this soon after a massive update... except savegame feature totally unusable... and yes it does appear to have corrupted whole worlds.

Jacko13

• Bay Watcher
  • Please Urist wear your masterwork steel armour
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 05:08:24 pm »

In theory this is now fixed in the just released .40.02

"Stopped autosave features from corrupting worlds (thanks to everybody that helped sort that out so quickly!)"