Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How Should Round 2 Be Changed Regarding Combat?

Players are much tougher than standard enemy units.
- 7 (53.8%)
Introduce a Fatigue system.
- 1 (7.7%)
Options 1+2
- 5 (38.5%)
No Change
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30]

Author Topic: -The Last Stand- Final Pre-Round 2 Poll: Combat  (Read 39230 times)

Yourmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Not the weirdest on Bay12!
    • View Profile
Re: -The Last Stand- Final Pre-Round 2 Poll: Combat
« Reply #435 on: June 30, 2014, 05:50:48 am »

It's alive?
10/10.
Wants to rape and enslave my innocent night faeries ;-;

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: June 30, 2014, 07:50:43 am »

What Rolep said.
I would actually like to see this continue, since it's an interesting concept.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: July 01, 2014, 10:41:14 am »

The thing is, with the recent developments, it seems that there's a conflict between my own interests and those of the players.

Players: Strategize, Survive, make player characters tougher and NPCs weaker to enhance lifespan.

Me: Tough Enemies, create scenarios in which characters die in unique ways, instill a sense of desperation in the player characters.

While I'm sure you guys want to survive as long as possible, I feel that doing so takes away from the Desperation, which I wanted to highlight as a key feature of the game. No matter how well you're doing, I wanted to make the players know that at any time they could catch a spear through the chest or a bullet to the head. Makes things exciting.
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: July 01, 2014, 10:45:58 am »

Whatever you want TCM.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: July 01, 2014, 10:59:44 am »

Conflict of interest is sort of a hallmark of a game like this :P. Many GMs want to murder their players creatively and feast on their tears, and many players want to gain power and thwart their GMs and their plots.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: July 01, 2014, 12:33:27 pm »

Desperation is well and good, but so far we haven't been feeling desperate so much as futile and helpless. Which is frustrating.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: July 01, 2014, 12:42:33 pm »

Desperation is well and good, but so far we haven't been feeling desperate so much as futile and helpless. Which is frustrating.

Futile and helpless in what regard?
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: July 01, 2014, 01:58:19 pm »

As in it feels like we can't accomplish anything and rather than it being possible to catch a bullet in the face at any moment, it feels like we're catching bullets in the face at every moment. It makes you feel more along the lines of 'what's the point?' than 'ohshitohshitcomeon...!'.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: July 01, 2014, 02:03:34 pm »

I think maybe the desperation thing would work better in a situation where combat is difficult but not unavoidable or constant, and the goal is independent from the battle. Maybe try to escape across a war-torn city or something. If you make combat suicide, it serves to discourage it, which conflicts with the game's purpose if you make that combat the main component. For example, Call of Cthulhu has difficult combat, but the point is to avoid confrontations and try to survive investigations, so the difficulty serves to shape the experience and deemphasize that aspect.

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: July 01, 2014, 02:17:43 pm »

I think maybe the desperation thing would work better in a situation where combat is difficult but not unavoidable or constant, and the goal is independent from the battle. Maybe try to escape across a war-torn city or something. If you make combat suicide, it serves to discourage it, which conflicts with the game's purpose if you make that combat the main component. For example, Call of Cthulhu has difficult combat, but the point is to avoid confrontations and try to survive investigations, so the difficulty serves to shape the experience and deemphasize that aspect.

An interesting notion. I appreciate the feedback, as I do feel like the game needs to be amped up in one regard or another. One issue with the concept of having a "Last Stand" is that the players are pretty much static, stuck to one location. If there were more mobility and more goals, I feel as a GM I could do more than just "Spawn more enemies and attack players" each turn. That would change the whole course of the game, but I feel like that may be necessary to keep it fresh and engaging.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: July 01, 2014, 02:22:17 pm »

Like Mario.

Although I thought of Pokemon first and now I'm trying to figure out a Pokemon scenario for this.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: July 01, 2014, 02:25:04 pm »

In that case, perhaps the solution is an objective system of some sort? Offer rewards such as lives and better equipment for performing specific tasks such as capturing X position or killing Y unit. That way, the goal changes and the players are focused not on winning combat but on manipulating the system to accomplish a goal. That would also make things such as lighter-armored, more mobile troops more viable.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30]