Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hiking/Biking/Camping/Traveling Advice Thread  (Read 866 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Hiking/Biking/Camping/Traveling Advice Thread
« on: June 10, 2014, 07:24:07 pm »

I kinda liked the Hiking across Europe thread, and since I like to share experience and knowledge about these topics, I offer free advice to anyone coming by here. :) I mean, we already have a computer advice thread, so why not something more on the outdoor side of things? :)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hiking/Biking/Camping/Traveling Advice Thread
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2014, 06:45:30 am »

How much would you put at the upper and lower limit for money needed to be traveling full time? What kind of expenses eat up most of it?
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: Hiking/Biking/Camping/Traveling Advice Thread
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2014, 10:14:38 pm »

Thats a pretty open question. It depends on how you travel (fly much? bus/train? hike/bike? Own car/motorbike?), where you travel (India? USA? Norway?) and what you want to do. (Party/Drink/Smoke much? Dive/Climb/Guided Tours much?)

Lets make a lower limit example, because there is no real upper limit. Cheapest I can think of:
Hitchhike, Ride a bicycle, Hike: 0$ for transport.
Camp, Couchsurfing.org, Warmshowers.org, Woofing: 0$ for accomodation.
Cook yourself, buy in supermarkets/markets: 5-15$ a day.

With that you can mostly ignore normal prices you have in specific countries. Be it Europe or Asia, its only food to pay for. Obviously you need equipment first, which can be anything from 100$ to 10000$. So if its a short trip, a hotel might be cheaper than buying camping gear, but the longer you use it, the more money it saves you in the end.

So... travel full time. For how long? 1 year? 5 years? 25 years? Doing it for a few years when you are young is a big difference from doing it for all eternity. ;)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::