Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Need a little help with trading  (Read 1180 times)

Magnumcannon

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep waters don't run still
    • View Profile
Need a little help with trading
« on: June 29, 2014, 07:31:01 pm »

Well, i got a human caravan and they are trading with me. I have a lot of crafts, they worth 3115. So, whenever i try to trade with them i got this message: "With your trade goods such as they are. I can't fathom you ending with all of those items". This is the second time this message shows up, the last time i tried to reduce the value of my trade goods, but nothing happened, they went angry and left my fortress. Am i doing something wrong?

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Need a little help with trading
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 07:36:24 pm »

You're asking for too much. You need to give the traders a certain level of profit depending on how many items you're asking for.
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2014, 07:36:33 pm »

Yes.  Basically, the merchants need to make a certain percentage of profits.  If you get this message, they are not making enough money off the trade.  Give them at least 50% above the value of the items being traded and see what their emotion is when they trade.  Ideally, you want them to be "very happy" or "ecstatic" with the trading, as then they bring more and better stuff next year.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Magnumcannon

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep waters don't run still
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2014, 07:41:29 pm »

Thank you guys, it worked!

TheBeardyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2014, 07:08:55 am »

Merchants dissatisfied with your trade can only make a counter-offer by adding more of your goods to your side of the trade; they can't remove any of their goods from their side of the trade.

So you only get the "With your trade goods such as they are. I can't fathom you ending with all of those items" message (which gives very poor feedback on how much profit the merchants want) if you try to trade all (or nearly all) of your goods at once, and you don't have enough additional goods in the depot for the merchants to make a counter-offer acceptable to them.

You can get better feedback by making multiple smaller trades, each of which leaves enough untraded goods on your side for a counter-offer.

KiBoy

• Bay Watcher
  • You have been struck down! It was inevitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2014, 08:32:14 am »

The best things to trade are usually prepared goods. Once you have a respectable amount of booze and food, start making lavish meals. Once your cook gets some decent skill, he'll easily be making stacks of food worth couple thousand. 10 of these and you can practically sweep of whole caravans, sans they have high quality metal items.

As an added bonus the merchants will need far less time to pack up, and you'll never should have caravans blocking each other from coming in/exiting.

Usually until I get the first caravan in a given fort I make rock crafts, and once I buy food from them I start making prepared meals. That should work well, especially if your food is plentiful.
"Ha-ha-halt in the name of the Obeisant Vegetation!  Okay, Princess, you can speak to the Necromancer now."
"A-anou, Necromancer-san, could...  C-Could I have your autograph?"
If you imagine an 8-bit Hinata with elf ears, it gets even more ridiculous ^_^