Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Military dwarves not picking up armor :/  (Read 5731 times)

Monkeylordmafia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Military dwarves not picking up armor :/
« on: June 25, 2014, 09:10:22 pm »

So the problem is that some of my military dwarves (the 'newer' recruits) are not picking up armor. They have a uniform that is simply "metal armor-breastplates, greaves, gauntlets, boots, helm, sheild, cloak, indiv. choice melee". The uniform is set to REPLACE clothing. The schedule is active/training. There is a stockpile in the barracks with them full to the brim of armor. The missing armor is random, some are missing a breastplate, greaves, gunatlet etc... forging more armor, changing uniform, disbanding and recreating the squad, has not fixed the problem. Interestingly, in the equip section, the 'position uniform' tab has the green markers next to each piece of armor for each dwarf (the military screen thinks they are all equipped?). Any ideas on how to try and fix this? Is there a dfhack command that allows me to manually equip my dwarves?

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Military dwarves not picking up armor :/
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2014, 10:05:00 pm »

A station order might help.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2014, 06:45:14 am »

Interestingly, in the equip section, the 'position uniform' tab has the green markers next to each piece of armor for each dwarf (the military screen thinks they are all equipped?).

The green checkmarks mean the equipment has been assigned.  That's good.  It's a necessary step, and it means you can eliminate a bunch of previous steps from your checklist of things to look at.

As kingubu says, a Station order often helps kickstart the dwarves into putting on their equipment.

If they won't wear specific pieces even after you give a Station order (and wait long enough for them to finish their current jobs, go on duty, and run around collecting equipment) then you need to look into conflict between what is currently worn, and what is supposed to be worn.  At that point you would need to write down the exact pieces of equipment being worn in each "slot" (head, torso, hands, legs, feet).
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Monkeylordmafia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2014, 08:24:37 am »

thanks for the replys guys, trying to get into this awesome game, but its little things like this that I dont know how to solve! I HAVE given several station orders and it solves nothing. The armor is set as replace clothing so im fairly sure that there are no conflicts (they are simply 'unconvered' for that item slot) Ill put the list of the troublesome dwarves below:
  • urist uzoligam - upperbody - waterskin, backpack, iron breastplate - all other body parts fully covered.
    vabok sterusakrul - uncovered feet (no other items occupying the feet slot)
    Thob Ducimmedtob - lefthand - iron battle axe - guantlet (his cloak is written in orange text in dwarf therapist for some reason aswell)
as you can see the uniform is:
  • head: helmet
    upperbody: cloak, breastplate, waterskin/flask, backpack
    right hand: shield, gauntlet
    left hand: battle axe, gauntlet
    lower body: greaves
    right foot: boot
    left foot: boot
All is set as metal. If I havent written it in, it is correct as per the uniform. as for the station order, do you mean set a station order and then cancel it? or do you mean leave them 'stationed' until they need to go back for food/drink (and when they go back for food/drink they pick up armor as well?).

Idk how the dwarves decide what metal armor to wear (many are wearing bronze when iron is available for some reason). Do they 'claim' a piece of armor when given a uniform, and then not wear it if someone else has taken it? There seems to be a mad scramble when new armor is produced (they all stop training and run down to the forge). ATM im not making any new armor until this problem is resolved.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2014, 10:18:20 am »

The armor is set as replace clothing so im fairly sure that there are no conflicts (they are simply 'unconvered' for that item slot)

I don't know what "unco(n)vered" means.  The game does not use this term.

(his cloak is written in orange text in dwarf therapist for some reason aswell)

Oh, you're using add-ons.  Ugh.  Well, maybe someone else can help with that  part, then....

as you can see the uniform is:
  • head: helmet
    upperbody: cloak, breastplate, waterskin/flask, backpack
    right hand: shield, gauntlet
    left hand: battle axe, gauntlet
    lower body: greaves
    right foot: boot
    left foot: boot

How would I see that?  Anyway, that is also not how the game assigns equipment.  Gauntlets and boots are assigned in pairs, not to individual hands/feet.  Backpacks and waterskins are not assigned as equipment -- they are designated indirectly through the "Supplies" interface (carry food, carry drink), and you cannot decide which kind of flask/waterskin the dwarves will use.

All is set as metal.

Well, normally this could be an issue, but it would be an issue at the assignment level, due to lack of available gear.  But since you said you had the green checkmarks in the in-game military equipment interface (m e) I assumed the assignment had succeeded.

Or at least I thought you meant the in-game military equipment interface.  If you actually meant some add-on program's interface, all bets are off.

If I havent written it in, it is correct as per the uniform.

But if the dwarf already has a bunch of other clothing in a given slot, that can interfere with them putting on their assigned uniform.  The most common offender is the cap.  Caps and helms are mutually exclusive, as they are both "shaped".  You can't wear both at the same time.  That's why it's important to note exactly what is happening.

as for the station order, do you mean set a station order and then cancel it? or do you mean leave them 'stationed' until they need to go back for food/drink (and when they go back for food/drink they pick up armor as well?).

When you give a squad a station order, they go on duty, and then they prioritize getting into their uniforms, before reporting to the station point.  Since going on duty prevents them from taking any civilian jobs, the only issues that would prevent them from getting dressed at that point are things like hunger, thirst, tiredness, or visible enemies.

Normally, you give a station order, wait for the dwarves to put on all their gear and show up at the station point, then cancel the order.

Idk how the dwarves decide what metal armor to wear (many are wearing bronze when iron is available for some reason).

They select items based on total value.  A steel helm is generally worth more than a bronze helm, so they would prefer the steel one.  However, if the bronze is a masterpiece with decorations, it might be more valuable, so they might prefer the bronze one.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Monkeylordmafia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2014, 12:02:53 pm »

1. Since the uniform is set to 'replace clothing' only armor is worn. If no armor is available they are naked for that item slot, i.e. no clothing occupies that slot. So for every dwarf that is missing a piece of armor, there is no item occupying the slot the armor would go to. An example to illustrate the point: vabok sterusakrul will not pick up iron boots despite there being iron boots in a stockpile near him. He has removed all clothing because the uniform is set to 'replace clothing', hence he has no iron boots, no shoes, no socks on his feet. His feet are naked/uncovered/unclothed.

2. I use dwarf therapist because it makes life so much easier haha. But everything i've posted was confirmed using in-game commands (v then i to see inventory).

3. Yes I used the military equipment interface to determine that armor was assigned to the dwarves (the green checkmarks next to the armor item, for each dwarf), not other software

4. no other clothing is in the same spot, this is due to the replace clothing option. (u[n]iform -> [r]eplace clothing). The uniform specifies Helm's (not helm/cap or anything else, likewise is says shields not shields/bucklers - it is specific)
Uniform:
breastplate
cloak
helms
greaves
gauntlet
low boot
shield
battle axe
The list I gave was what the dwarf should look like fully equiped ( v -> i ). I see individual hands/feet when inspecting a dwarf's inventory.

5. I gave the station order (which I assume is the move command as it then says 'station' next to the dwarf's names), they happily run off without grabbing equipment

6. Interesting, I didnt know they select from value. That being said, I believe the issue may be due to dwarves NOT picking up armor of certain quality. Is this a known issue?

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2014, 12:06:45 pm »

Try using the (e)quip specific item command in the military sub menus on these problematic dwarves. First remove the generic metal armor equip command that is failing to work on them. For instance with that guy with the missing chest armor, remove the "metal chest armor" that he has been assigned currently and go in and assign him a specific piece of gear you know he can reach.

Usually when I get a dwarf that just won't stop streaking for some reason this solves the problem. If this doesn't work, I'm not sure what to to tell you other than to make sure the armor is not forbidden for some reason or the dwarf can't get to it due to burrow assignments etc.

Edit: If everything else is ruled out then it may be a damn bin problem of some sort. Always avoid using bins to store things if you can as they are buggy, very heavy and spend eternity in transit as some stupid dwarf hauls a two ton bin packed with gear across the entire embark to pick up a single moldy sock. While in transit every other dwarf who needs something out of it will produce job cancellations. Are you getting job cancellations concerning equipment?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 12:17:49 pm by Melting Sky »

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2014, 11:53:14 pm »

I have a similar problem with my new squad who is suppose to use only steel armor. I've only tried one guy so far and he will pick up iron stuff but not steel stuff. Replace clothing doesn't fix anything and when trying to select the items specifically (under the military menu > equip > helm > specific helm), they are red, but I can't see why. No one owns them, they are just sitting in the barracks along with all the other armor.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2014, 09:31:06 am »

Is it set to "Partial Match" and not "Exact Match"? Partial match will consider acceptable items of the correct type(mail shirts, helms) but not correct material. This can be annoying for leather items(often which are clothing as well as armor, and most can be made of cloth/silk) and especially caps(can be metal, leather, or cloth, and are normal clothing).

I figure a good idea would be to set exact matches, replace clothing, and give a station order. Another idea would be to make sure their training schedule has them to stay in uniform even if off-duty(or maybe not, to force an equipment change?). If you use DFHack, an extreme measure would be to mark every piece of clothing for dumping, then use autodump destroy to get rid of the clothing(permanently), then gice a station order.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.