Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Designing fortresses with good thoughts in mind  (Read 1366 times)

Crinkles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Designing fortresses with good thoughts in mind
« on: July 02, 2014, 10:51:07 am »

I am working on various aesthetically pleasing fortress designs, most involving copious amounts of statues--an object I have a personal preference for. Especially around the entrance, I want to protect statues from being toppled by building destroyers. At the same time, I want my dwarves to derive good thoughts from masterwork statues.

To that end, what is required for a dwarf to take notice of a pleasing object? Can the object be on a different z-level, e.g. set into the second z-level of a tall room or on top of a pillar? Can dwarfs appreciate objects through barriers--for example, if there is a niche in the wall with a statue in it, and a fortification blocking access to the niche, will dwarves get good thoughts? So that art is not placed too far from the roadway, what is the maximum distance for getting good thoughts?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: Designing fortresses with good thoughts in mind
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014, 09:48:30 pm »

I remember there was a thread showing same z-level is a must.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2014, 12:25:58 am »

Adjacent tile on same z-level, as far as I can recall. I suggest setting statues into alcoves in hallway walls or corners.

EDIT: oh, it is probably not possible to protect them from building destroyers AND have them contribute to good thoughts.

However you can set traps out in the field for the building destroyers, to lure them away from your statues and solve the problem.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 12:29:51 am by Urist Da Vinci »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2014, 02:33:42 am »

Artifact building destroyer bait, surrounded by repeating weapon traps.

Use the nastiest (least valuable, least interesting) piece of artifact furniture you have, built it out in the middle of nowhere outside the fortress (will require a roof overhead to place, but once placed, you can remove the roof. I've done this to dwarves I hate before-- build a bedroom with a bed in it, assign them to the room, then remove the roof and let the snow and rain in on them when they sleep.).

With it far outside the fortress, in plain view, building destroyers will head for it first, and being an artifact, they will never succeed. (especially if it is wood furniture, because then even dragons cant destroy it.)

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2014, 06:43:57 am »

(especially if it is wood furniture, because then even dragons cant destroy it.)
Care to expand on this? All metal is immune to dragonfire. Organic materials (e.g. wood) should just burn forever. Wiki mentions that common stone/glass/ceramics will boil away, so I'm not sure if that includes artifacts.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?