Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: I don't like to complain but...  (Read 2123 times)

Mentalpatient87

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I don't like to complain but...
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2014, 04:38:49 pm »

Thinking about it, I really hope they tire and fall. That would make for some pretty funny "you brought this up on yourself" traps.
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow dwarf is either a fool or a coward. Whoever can not take care of themself without that law is both. For a wounded dwarf shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2014, 05:30:36 pm »

It'd be especially funny for weapon lords, since stunned things can't dodge and temporarily lose the ability to avoid traps (I think). "Hah! Your masterwork steel axe weapon traps may have killed my entire squad, but I can still climb up your walls!"
(Four days later)
*Goblin Spearmaster falls off*
*massive gibbing*
(Ten days ago)
Urist McWeaponTrapDesigner: "As you can see here, weapon lords dodge weapon traps most of the time. Our typical approach is to trap them in cages. However, ones that become exhausted can't dodge, and climbing tires anything that can tire, so this design should kill ALL OF THE GOBLINS. Also elves. It also has a backup system to spew magma everywhere and kill everything."

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2014, 05:54:32 pm »

Hopefully in the next version the dwarves will climb to their destinations, thus avoiding the "stand on construction site" problems.
I really hope they can't climb carrying huge boulders... that would be silly.
Also, IIRC, you're not supposed to be able to climb on smooth walls.

Constructed walls are not smooth nor can be smoothed, but as FA said overhangs, solved.
Yes they are if made of blocks. Rough if made of boulders.

Also, unlike a boulder, a block would make sense with a backpack while climbing, or something. But still awfully complicated sounding.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 05:57:00 pm by GavJ »
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

jcochran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2014, 02:59:02 pm »

Well, if they do climb and hang on walls with a floor overhang, it sounds like a very nice wall construction would be.

1. Have a ditch with a nice slope on the exterior to allow gobbo access. The inner surface is a nice wall with a floor overhang. The floor is even with the ground outside the ditch (and of course far enough away to avoid the jumping issue.

2. When gobbos are hanging from the wall underneath the floor, apply the universal dwarven solution to all problems.... Magma in the ditch.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2014, 05:39:49 pm »

The solution to remove the hangers is to have towers every ten to twenty tiles that allow marksdwarves to see along the length of the wall and shoot at anyone trying to climb up.  Look up "star forts" for a nicely engineered meatspace version of this.  No wall is safe for an enemy to stand next to as all are visible to the defenders and inside at least one field of fire (and usually two or three).
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"
Pages: 1 [2]