Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Side Effects of Switching Graphics on a Pre-existing Fort?  (Read 699 times)

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Side Effects of Switching Graphics on a Pre-existing Fort?
« on: July 04, 2014, 01:58:04 am »

With the new version coming out in a matter of days I decided I really should master the ASCII interface now rather than having to figure it out while stumbling my way through the new game. So my question is this, will it mess up the raws in any way on my saved game if I switch between graphics options on a pre-existing fort?

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Side Effects of Switching Graphics on a Pre-existing Fort?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2014, 02:02:43 am »

It will in no way directly affect gameplay. It might affect your decisionmaking or enjoyment if you are confused about what tiles mean or annoyed by them, though.

Especially if the graphics you used previously changed around which tile icons were used for different things, in their RAWs. If so, again the game and its gameplay don't care either way -- you could have all boulder looking like giraffes in hotdog buns for all it cares -- but if you had switched around RAWs, and switch to default, you will probably get all sorts of weird misleading feedback graphically that might make things really odd.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.