Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Should I Stay or Should I Go?  (Read 1330 times)

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
Should I Stay or Should I Go?
« on: June 27, 2014, 11:39:33 pm »

First thing, this is not a question about leaving the forums.
Second thing, this is a minor concern, nothing life changing. I'm not pretending that it's that urgent.
Now, with that out of the way...

My mother is stupid-level involved in Boy Scouts through my younger brother. She has spent several months organizing a week-long canoe trip in the Boundary Waters for the scout troop. She and said brother are going because scouts, and wherever she goes my father also goes (also, because they need another adult to supervise the littluns). I, however, am not going, and do not want to go. I don't like camping, bugs, or the kids in my brother's scout troop. This is where I have to make a choice.

The default is for me to stay at home by myself for a week. The first response anyone who knows my age will give would probably be "Sealy, you're 17 years old! You're mature enough to take care of yourself for a week." And indeed I am, for a certain definition of "take care of myself". However, due to the state of Michigan's (and, by now, most places') wacko licensing laws for minors, and my parents' relentless protectionism, I don't have a drivers' license, and with the spread-outness of the local area I would be effectively separated from anything but houses for the whole week. And being stuck at home alone for a week would be a psychological nightmare, and probably result in me not making particularly healthy diet and lifestyle choices for that duration.

The alternative is for me to go to Bwahston and stay with my aunt and her family. The family as a whole is very friendly, we enjoyed the last time we visited them, and she actually offered preemptively to let me stay there for the week. Of the three cousins in that branch of the family, only one of them is actually living at home now, so they're used to full houses in the past, and he's a cool guy too. But I'm not sure about the idea. On one hand, I'd like to be able to both go somewhere more interesting than the Christian Republic of West Michigan, and to visit family that I don't see that much. On the other, I'm still a little bit uncertain about how well the family dynamics will actually play out over the course of the week, of travelling to Boston on my own, and, I guess, that I'll end up not doing much more there than I would at home, even with the egging on from relatives.

What say you, Bay12? To go to Boston and face uncertainty, or stay at home and face being a lazy bum?
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Hubris Incalculable

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Should I Stay or Should I Go?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2014, 12:26:03 am »

Oh, definitely laziness. A chance to be a worthless layabout for a week? Take it now.
Code: (Bay 12 Lower Boards IRC) [Select]
server = irc.darkmyst.net
channel = #bay12lb

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2014, 12:54:14 am »

As a 24-year-old who has made a lot of really stupid decisions, go to Boston. You should go on an adventure so that you've got stories to tell, too.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2014, 01:43:33 am »

If I go there will be trouble
And if I stay it will be double

Sorry, that's a good song and it was the first thing I thought of from the title. So thanks for that, it's a good song. I'm mostly posting to complete the song lyrics.

Do whatever you feel like? Shouldn't be too tough to stock up on food for a week if you plan on staying at home without a driver's license or a way to go get food. If your parents can't trust you to take care of yourself or not burn the house down or something then that's another problem. If you would rather go to Bwastan Bastan Boston to see sights and do stuff then that sounds like it'd work too. Boston sounds cool.

Personally I'd stay at home for a week dining on leftovers and easy to fix meals like ramen and sandwiches and ramen sandwiches and never leaving the house while I savor having a week of being completely by myself with my thoughts, but that's me. I think I'm way more reclusive and introverted than most people, my opinion towards whether I'd go somewhere or stay home is biased and probably wouldn't apply to most people.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2014, 02:36:27 am »

I'd say you might as well go to Boston.
I imagine it's infinitely more healthy for you, both mentally and physically, than just sitting around for a week.
Well, I'd probably say going on the scout trip would be a good idea, too, even if it put you out of your comfort zone... but if that involves having to put up with annoying little kids I can definitely understand not wanting to go.

So yeah, go Shipping Up To Boston! And see if you can find your wooden leg while you're at it, heh.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2014, 08:00:11 am »

I'm with everyone else here: Boston bound with you. Have as much fun as you can and be as pleasant as possible during the unpleasant parts. That way you can be morale support. :)

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2014, 04:44:31 pm »

Travelling is almost always going to be superior to staying at home, even if it's not to somewhere particularly far or exotic, and I would probably choose Boston.

However, you could definitely capitalize on a week of free time alone. If you have speakers, you can play loud music all hours of the day (and possibly night depending on the distance and tolerance of your neighbors). You could binge watch TV series or movies you've been wanting to see, catch up on reading without any interruptions, wear as little clothing as you like, etc. and could invite friends over to enjoy these freedoms with you. The time can be as constructive as you want it to be. I very rarely have the house to myself but if it's a common occurrence for you then of course it may not be as appealing. Also, it sounds like you would probably be able to visit Boston in the future if you wanted, and so depending on your situation a week alone might be a scarcer opportunity.

Is there anyone who would be willing to pick you up? If you have some cash you can always offer to throw in for gas money or pay for food or a movie or whatever.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2014, 09:36:17 am »

As a Seventeen year old Michigander I say stay home, nothing is better then doing nothing for a week and just relaxing.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2014, 12:39:48 pm »

Unless you've got a lot of friends looking forward to partying, or you have some project you've been dying to dedicate a solid chunk of time to, definitely Boston.

"In the absence of a compelling reason to stay, always go."

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2014, 03:32:11 pm »

As a shut-in loner who loves staying alone and doing absolutely nothing productive, with a license and vehicle... I would stay home alone, given the chance.  (Also, I'm not really one to communicate with cousins/relatives either... nice people, but I still avoid it when I can.  I let my semi-more outgoing siblings/parents do that if I can.)

As for you and your situation.  You are probably better off going to Boston, depending on your personality and how nice you play with relatives I reckon.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2014, 08:32:13 pm »

Well, in the end I've decided on Boston. Variety is the salt of life, or the spice of life, or something like that. Thanks for the replies, everyone.

I think I'll lock this now.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.