Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: ingrediant-based cooking  (Read 654 times)

indyofcomo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
ingrediant-based cooking
« on: June 25, 2014, 03:25:47 pm »

I once found a thread about how to set up food stockpiles to influence your kitchens to pull food from different groups to make meals, instead of pulling 3 meats, for instance. I am having trouble setting that up; I keep getting the no-input-available messages for the kitchens and stills. Can anyone describe this to me or point me to the thread?

Kreydurst

• Bay Watcher
  • Is insane
    • View Profile
Re: ingrediant-based cooking
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2014, 03:43:22 pm »

I know what thread you're talking about but I can't find it for the life of me.

Basically what you want is a general food stockpile. (cooking food preferable stockpile)

And then you need several (5+ whatever fits your jib) no barrel no bin single TYPE of food item single spaced stockpile. All set to receive from links only. (I.E. they will only take from the general food stockpile.)

And then you need to link them to take from the general stockpile.

Same thing for the kitchen except it takes from the single spaced ingredient stockpiles.

Bamn you should have multi food type meals.

As to the no input available are you sure you have the kitchen set to receive from links? (And are linked) If yes then maybe try it without links. If you have problems past that I'll do some trouble shooting for you.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 03:45:18 pm by Kreydurst »

deepfreeze78

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Nothing's truly dwarfy until it's been weaponized to kill elves with magma.

indyofcomo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2014, 04:01:20 pm »

do you have to link them from both sides? Cause I had the single-space piles giving and taking

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2014, 05:58:05 pm »

When you create a link from one stockpile to another stockpile, the link is visible on both stockpiles.  One will save "Gives to stockpile X" and the other will say "Takes from stockpile Y".

When you create a link from a stockpile to a workshop, it is only visible in the stockpile.  The workshop gives you no visual indication that it is part of a link.  You would have to query every single stockpile to find out for sure.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

indyofcomo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2014, 09:08:22 am »

And then you need several (5+ whatever fits your jib) no barrel no bin single TYPE of food item single spaced stockpile.

This is what I'm trying to fix my problem for now. What I had was just one single-pile for each stockpile. (I don't have one big generic stockpile, I have one for meat/fish, one for plants, and another for animal-derived ingredients like eggs.)

What might also be part of my problem is for many solid months, maybe more than a year, I haven't had more than 2 idle dwarves at a time, and not for long. They've just been going and going and going and going....