Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarfs aren't using barrels.  (Read 561 times)

Magnumcannon

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep waters don't run still
    • View Profile
Dwarfs aren't using barrels.
« on: June 25, 2014, 06:50:19 pm »

So, i have tons of barrels, but my dwarfs aren't using them on the food stockpile. Actually, they're not using the barrels for anything, they just get the plump helmet and throw at the food stockpile, and i know that this will make food storing a LOT more difficult. I have set a food and drinks stockpile, but since i'm not brewing (Yet).

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarfs aren't using barrels.
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2014, 07:00:11 pm »

I'm going to guess the stockpiles in question don't have barrels (or bins) enabled.

Hit q and move the cursor over the stockpile.  On the right side you should see two lines: one for barrels (erER) and one for bins, (cvCV).  Assuming I've remembered the key commands correctly, you'll want hit hit R on the stocks you want barrels used.  As a note of interest, some stockpiles work better without barrels (or bins) being enabled, though there are some work arounds through the use of multiple stockpiles.

Hope this helps.

edit: just realized, another simple possibility is the barrels are outside the burrow all your dwarves are assigned to.  unlikely this early in a fort (from what you describe) but still an optional cause.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 07:02:24 pm by krenshala »
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Magnumcannon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2014, 07:06:22 pm »

I'm going to guess the stockpiles in question don't have barrels (or bins) enabled.

Hit q and move the cursor over the stockpile.  On the right side you should see two lines: one for barrels (erER) and one for bins, (cvCV).  Assuming I've remembered the key commands correctly, you'll want hit hit R on the stocks you want barrels used.  As a note of interest, some stockpiles work better without barrels (or bins) being enabled, though there are some work arounds through the use of multiple stockpiles.

Hope this helps.

edit: just realized, another simple possibility is the barrels are outside the burrow all your dwarves are assigned to.  unlikely this early in a fort (from what you describe) but still an optional cause.

Actually, i had set the barrels to be used on that stockpile, and i don't have any burrows.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2014, 07:49:22 pm »

Based on that, I assume you've already checked the z - stocks screen to verify the barrels aren't forbidden ...

Unfortunately, I'm not sure what else could cause this behavior.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2014, 08:07:42 pm »

I've been noticing that empty barrels & pots seem to get claimed by stockpiles with barrels enabled, & then not actually made available to contain whatever the stockpile is for (i.e. "Urist McBrewer cancels Brew Drink; needs empty food storage container" "well what about the 14 empty pots just sitting there in the Drinks stockpile retard? [nb: I specifically did not link any stockpiles to my food/drink workshops]).

Using the "Reserved Barrels" setting on the Stockpile designation screen did seem to help though.

Magnumcannon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2014, 08:15:35 pm »

Well, i reseted the food stockpile. Deleted it and did another with the same settings, which worked for some reason. I don't know if this is a bug or something, but i'm glad that it was solved. Thank you for the advices though guys.