Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Military Dwarves running out for new equipment...  (Read 729 times)

ribby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Military Dwarves running out for new equipment...
« on: June 21, 2014, 06:29:42 am »

In the middle of a siege (so many goblins had been killed by the traps and the giant snakes) then one of my best axemen ran into the maze full of goblins, despite me constantly ordering him to go back, he rounded a corner, saw three goblins, and instead of attacking them, he tried to run past. He didn't even try to fight but just let them kill him. I checked what he was doing a moment before he died and apparently he was going to pickup equipment. How do I stop this from happening in the future? I've quit the game now because 3 more of my troops are about to do the same thing.

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
Re: Military Dwarves running out for new equipment...
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2014, 06:43:50 am »

the only way you can stop them is by forbiding the equipment, or go to orders (o) and forbid other death items.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

Ai Shizuka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2014, 07:39:39 am »

You can also manually assign specific pieces of equipment on each slot. Once they get the specified item, they'll never try to replace it.

A bit tedious, but they equip exactly what you want them to equip.

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2014, 09:06:56 am »

I've had crossbow dwarves run out into the middle of a siege to collect ammo, and it isn't possible to assign specific bolts.

My strategy is to install a bunch of doors. Whenever my dwarves decide to do something insane, I just lock 'em down. Doesn't always work, but if there's an invading army on the map I'm usually paying attention.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2014, 10:54:13 am »

I've had crossbow dwarves run out into the middle of a siege to collect ammo, and it isn't possible to assign specific bolts.
You can forbid spent ammo, which should keep your dwarves from running out into the siege to play pick-up-sticks.  What I haven't figured out is how to mass-unforbid the ammo after the fact so that it can be melted down or what-have-you.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2014, 11:12:18 am »

Put an ammo stockpile where the dwarves have to run past it to get to the enemy/bolts outside, but where they can't see the enemies.  They should rearm then return to the point they are stationed at all on their own.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

PatientRock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2014, 12:02:04 pm »

What I haven't figured out is how to mass-unforbid the ammo after the fact so that it can be melted down or what-have-you.

I usually "D">>"B" reclaiming from one corner of the map to the other.
I am expert at Giant Badger training.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2014, 12:15:00 pm »

Alternately, go into the stocks screen, go down to Ammunition, and on the list on the right press "f" over each entry marked with an F to clear the forbidden flag, optionally press "m" to assign/remove melt designation. This can also be done with all the goblinite, or if you've just dropped the elven traders onto a spike pit and drowned the survivors in water(not magma, as there would be nothing left to unforbid).
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Agent_Irons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2014, 08:47:09 pm »

Maybe nethercap? I forget if elves can get interesting woods like that.