Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarves won't equip armor or weapons?  (Read 2197 times)

nimbus25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarves won't equip armor or weapons?
« on: June 24, 2014, 11:48:45 am »

I have a uniform for my militia squad, and for the first 8 members I drafted, they got suited up, went into the danger room, and were just fine. So, now that I have more than 8 male dwarves, I enlisted 2 more dwarves into the militia. Both refused to equip fully. After messing around, reassigning the uniform, I got it to the 10th dwarf in the militia, a Carpenter. I assumed because he was a carpenter, he wanted to use his copper axe, not the obviously superior steel axe I tried to get him to use. So I replaced him with a Craftsdwarf, and all he'll equip is the Mail Shirt. I have the Uniform set to replace clothing, so I don't know what's going on... Help?

indyofcomo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves won't equip armor or weapons?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2014, 12:02:55 pm »

i recently had a similar problem. I can't find the thread I found about it. Basically, right now DF is creating a militia 'suit' which contains your pick/axe as a weapon and locks it's function for that. Then your miner/woodcutter has a job to do and needs a tool, but the pick/axe is reserved as a weapon. You'll basically need two pick/axes for each enlisted miner/woodcutter, or the uniform needs to specify something other than pick/axe/individual choice as a weapon.

nimbus25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 12:07:29 pm »

Well I have miners in the Militia that are just fine with axes, and the problem is even a Craftsdwarf won't equip anything, except for a Mail Shirt even with Replace Clothing on.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2014, 01:33:49 pm »

After messing around, reassigning the uniform, I got it to the 10th dwarf in the militia, a Carpenter. I assumed because he was a carpenter, he wanted to use his copper axe, not the obviously superior steel axe I tried to get him to use. So I replaced him with a Craftsdwarf, and all he'll equip is the Mail Shirt. I have the Uniform set to replace clothing, so I don't know what's going on... Help?

First of all, the profession that is displayed for a dwarf just tells you his highest skill.  It has no effect on anything else.  What matters are which Labors are enabled for the dwarf.

Second, dwarves with the Woodcutting labor (not the Carpentry labor) will refuse to wear their uniforms properly while off-duty.  This is one of the most obnoxious long-standing DF bugs.  There's not even a DFhack workaround for it.  The same bug prevents uniform-wearing for dwarves with the Mining or Hunting labor.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

nimbus25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2014, 02:25:49 pm »

After messing around, reassigning the uniform, I got it to the 10th dwarf in the militia, a Carpenter. I assumed because he was a carpenter, he wanted to use his copper axe, not the obviously superior steel axe I tried to get him to use. So I replaced him with a Craftsdwarf, and all he'll equip is the Mail Shirt. I have the Uniform set to replace clothing, so I don't know what's going on... Help?

First of all, the profession that is displayed for a dwarf just tells you his highest skill.  It has no effect on anything else.  What matters are which Labors are enabled for the dwarf.

Second, dwarves with the Woodcutting labor (not the Carpentry labor) will refuse to wear their uniforms properly while off-duty.  This is one of the most obnoxious long-standing DF bugs.  There's not even a DFhack workaround for it.  The same bug prevents uniform-wearing for dwarves with the Mining or Hunting labor.
Oh, I use Dwarf Therapist.. So he doesn't have Woodcutting.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 02:34:44 pm by nimbus25 »

nimbus25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2014, 06:14:58 pm »

UPDATE: I managed to get an Engineer in to equip everything, and got a smith to equip everything EXCEPT an Axe...
EDIT: After making an eleventh axe, I got him to equip it. So problem solved I guess...
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 07:03:24 pm by nimbus25 »