Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: How to get past the "mediocre" level?  (Read 4611 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: How to get past the "mediocre" level?
« Reply #45 on: June 15, 2014, 01:36:41 am »

Well, everyone else is doing it. Heres the 7 step Dunamisdeos method.

1: Embark
2: Pause
3: Find where I want to dig an entrance. This is usually a flat area, for me. Unpause.
4: Dig to the z level I want my main stuff at (food and dining).
5: Pause. Designate out Food storage, Dining Room, and Farms. Farms are always max size, I usually make two full size plot just in case. Unpause.
6: Move ALL OF EVERYTHING down into the new underground area.
7: Build a Carpenter Shop, Still, Mason's Shop, Butcher, Tanner, Leatherworker, Craftsdwarf Shop, Mechanics Shop, and Jeweler out of whatever is not wood and wherever it fits. This ensures that you will be prepared for any moods., and also that you can whip up some trade goods at need. Slaughter the pack animals.
8: Build a lockdown system. This is generally a raising bridge system of some kind.
9: Win. Initial Phase complete.

Yeah, I know it's not 7 steps. Don't judge me.

After that, I build a trade depot, dig out a dorm and chop up some wood for beds, get industry flowing, get a hospital and well, and whip up some more complicated defensive structures. In that order.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

mross

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to get past the "mediocre" level?
« Reply #46 on: June 19, 2014, 07:12:46 pm »

so far the most important basic rule i've found while playing is to use barrels only for booze, and to disallow them everywhere else (disallow bins too). besides the retarded hauling mechanics, there's just no reason to. dwarf labor is expendable and abundant, and vermin don't eat food quickly enough for containers to matter.
I used to think like this, but I found that dwarves are immeasurably happier if you have someone cranking out infinite green glass or fire clay pots. There is no way to control flies except for pots/barrels, and since everyone hates flies and some dwarves double-hate them, and everyone needs to eat, flies all by themselves become a massive happiness drain.

I don't use glass or clay, and I've never needed to specifically account for happiness, my dudes rarely dip below ecstatic no matter how much bs they go through

Food is so abundant and trivial to generate that vermin simply don't matter, happiness or not
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]